Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

breeder interbreeds and does not reply when they die
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Breeder / Suppliers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
serpent
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott W wrote:
Serpent makes some good points and I would have to say added value to this thread.

Please give ALL posts the benefit of the doubt when trying to judge if they are aggressive...it's very hard to type out something AND give people reading the TRUE feelings in which it was written.

I do agree that perhaps we should ALL re-read posts before sent to see if they need 'tweaking' on the sensitivity, aggressivness or even factual basis.

If I upset anyone I'm sorry Embarassed

But as everyone knows, what you say and what you type even if the same words are used DO come across differently.

Very Happy
Nerys
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blimey this was ages ago wasn't it too!!

i saw it at the time and thought a lot like serpant...

you could not tell if a BD was inbreed by a casual examination, a DNA test would be needed..

stump tails and toes, whilst they could be genetic, in BD's are more likely to be clutch mates nipping each other.. i have a male who is fond of viv mates tails... he is the only one in there with a full tail now.... although he has grown out of it now..

line breeding in reptiles occurs many many times a year.. its something that should be 'controled' by the breeder, but how else does anyone think all these colours are made in different animals?

for a simple recessive gene to be visually expressed, you either find two unrelated, which was almost impossible with some species and colours.. or you breed siblingXsibling or parentXsibling..

how many albino burms are there about now, and how many copies of the albino gene were found in the first place... how many albino burms are a result of interbreeding... most i would guess...

MBD in these cases is normally taken to mean a deficency and illness caused by lack of dietry calcium.. not something affected by inheritance...
although too much calcium in the diet can cause hypocalcemia... a condition which closely mirrors MDB..

another thing... 4 beardies bought from the same source... are unlikely to be all the same sex... if they were all kept in one viv, then as brother and sisters, they will also be inbreeding later in life.

i have a number of sibling pairs here, where i fully intend to breed a brother to a sister, i also have mother-son combinations and father-daughter ones too.. its normal practice within the reptile world...

i know so many people who are anti it, and yet the same people i see buying a "pair of lavenders" who i KNOW are brother/sister and saying i can't wait for 3 years to breed them... umm.. hang on...

(lav is JUST AN EXAMPLE)

how do half the people out there think that something like a blazing blizzard gecko was created.. (blizzard X blizzard isn't it? bet most of those were brother X sister matings to begin with) or red stripe... how many of you are going to breed a male red stripe to a female non red stripe, and then breed the daughters back to the dad? quite a few at a guess...(long as its recessive)

a lot of fuss is made about inbreeding, and rightly so, as its something that will lead to a weakend gene pool.. what a lot seem to forget is that probably 95% of morphs around these days, will have started off with a degree of inter or line breeding initially. its only when you have a few adults of a new 'colour' that you can start to outcross and get new blood in, but to get the adults to begin with, in most cases you have to line breed..

in 2006 its seen as incest to marry within your close family... 5000 or so years ago in egyptian times it was seen as being the only way to marry if you were royal.. within your close family that is.....

human emotions often colour subjects interesting shades..

Nerys
JStroud
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nerys wrote:

how many albino burms are there about now, and how many copies of the albino gene were found in the first place... how many albino burms are a result of interbreeding... most i would guess...

Nerys

Spot on Nerys, as far as I'm aware ALL albino burms have come from one wild caught male which would have meant he would have been bred mutliple times to any offspring to produce other albinos. It is refreshing that someone that keeps so many morphs is so open about it, for ages its all been very secretive and almost frowned upon even though everyone knew what was going on!!

James
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Breeder / Suppliers All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: