Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

In the wild
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Chameleons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nerys
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the lady i got my panther from let hers free roam too in the days, yemens also, and they did the same! worth remembering, that no UV gets through glass, so they don't get anything bar heat from it...

my female yemen lived in the garden most of the summer... went out at 8am, came in at 10pm.. there is more UV given off by the UK sunset, than the best reptile UV tube on the market (or so i was once told)

i am desiging a rep shed at the moment, the front of which will be penns for UV lovers.. zoo style so they are indoor/outdoor runs... should be fun..

anyway... yus, no idea about depth, i do have a deeper bucket so i guess i could try it... thing is it takes so long to dig the eggs out anyway... i go careful just in case they are NOT at the bottom... that it would take hours to dig out 40 litres or so..

sand.. its actually the end of a bag of kids coloured sand.. half and half with eco earth, and damp enough to build a firm sandcastle.. seems to be about the right consistancy for her to burrow and build a tunnel..

highly scientific eh, damp enough for a firm sandcastle lol..

N
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the scientific approach, castles made of sand etc. Hehehehe good excuse to play really isn't it, go on admit it!

Free roaming appeals to me, in the viv I use reptisun 10's and have two seperate basking areas.

I was considering converting the whole alcove to one huge viv, would not be hard to do. To include built in lighting etc with a mesh undercover for safety etc. Also to build into the walls and top of alcove some form of misting system and air ventilation system, quite easy to knock up a driven vent system. Plenty of suitable products on the market. Maybe even one with a stat as part of an air conditioning system that provides primary or secondary heating aswell as cooling the air down and providing air exchange, more expensive the mind boggles at the possibilities. Could even build in a removable bottom tray and fill it with say, hydroponic type plant growing medium (I think thats the term soil free stuff nice n sterile ), then chuck in loadsa ficus and umbrellas etc. This excites me I might have a go at drawing up some plans.

Sorry to waffle, thinking out loud, well typing out load, you know what I mean.

N what sort of Panther do you have, have you just the one panther?

Rick

Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry going off topic with the previous post. N you said you were planning a rep shed, let me know how you get on. I have ordered some bits to build a summerhouse type rep shed in the garden. Just trying to work out the best mehtods now for heating, cooling durring the summer, insulation security etc etc.

Look now what you have done made me go off topic again Shocked . Yes it would be nice to see how far down the eggs could / would be laid.

Rick

JStroud
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and in some pythons too... memory tweaks reading somewhere about baby pythons staying near mum for the first week???

This is seen in some livebearers too (Copperheads maybe Confused ) but I don't think it can warrant parental 'care' in the same sense as the other two? More then likely is if maternal incubation occurred in the mother it would take her about a week to recover and have the energy to actively predate. The babies may stay close for protection but have to contact, direct or indirect, from the mother? Interesting though, you don't remember where you read it do you?[/quote]
Nerys
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yus, just the one at the moment..

but i am after a girlfriend for him sometime (hint hint anyone)

he's not as far as i know a true locale, is most likely to be nosey be cross... or as someone said, typical of east coast panthers...

any views over here as to what he may have in him?

Nerys
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jstroud....

Mmmmmmmmmm... racks brains.... in the last few weeks so that narrows it down.. will try and think....

shed.. will be a mammoth undertaking... its planned out as 24ft wide by 14ft deep, with a 4ft mouse shed on one side, and 6ft hatchling room on the other, overhead storage and then these zoo type front opening pens..

and we are planning on doing it ourselves...

whether it will ever get done though, have to see!

N
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice panther. Lurvelee colours. Blue phase with a bit of something else? How old? Big shed; probably best to self build as would cost lotsa squids otherwise. I know nothing about snakes so would not even try to make a comment on maternal instincts for fear of making a prairie hat out of myself!

Rick

JStroud
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a shed with these UV cages and have housed chameleons, eyed lizards, iguanas and rhino igs over the years during the Summer for basking, seemed really effective.
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pardon my ignorance; but are the UV cages the pen things that N was talking about that will go at the front of the shed? Is it easy to keep rats and mice out of a rep shed UV cages etc. They can be tenacious little so and so's and get everywhere, I keep finding them in my brick built utlity room! Some cute dormice and nests though.

Rick

JStroud
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The holes to the cage, more of a cage then mesh, had holes too small for rats but not too sure about mice. They were on a platform to start with about three and a half foot up, more like a window into the room and instead of glass it was there instead but there were removable windows to put on at night/winter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Chameleons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: