Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

On the mend! (Dennis)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Other Pets / Exotics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kroakykaren
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to see him looking perky Very Happy Bless his heart.
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get Well Soon BIG D x
sam
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No wasn't gastric torsion..he had very bad diarrhea and vomiting for a few days and was losing a lot of weight..he then started to struggle to walk as well..quite scary tbh..the vet thinks it was down to his ibd..(inflammatory bowel disorder) which can be set off if he eats something that he is allergic too but seeing as he had nothing different I don't believe this to be the cause..He has never had the runs like it either.

To be a pernickity little so and so, tortion and volvulus are slightly different-tortion is a twist along a longitudinal axis and volvulus is sort of "looping round on itself" so to speak... glad it didnt happen to Denis though!

Poor lad-what diet is he on at the moment? I take it he got a load of fluid therapy for it...
Did he have any oppertunity to get a hold of anything different to eat? It is possible for an animal to develop an allergic reaction to something they were fine with in the past. I take it the diarrhoea and vomiting cleared up ok?
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Al and Karen...Sam you referred to "Bloat"
Quote:
I think the laymans term is bloat
which is gastric torsion.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloat

Last edited by Stuart on Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is on a hypo allergenic diet now to see if that helps..and the sickness etc has all gone.
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, but "gastric tortion" is an incorrect term for it. As I said, tortion indicates a twisting along the axis, wheras volvulus is something far more serious.

glad to hear hes cleared up though, lets just hope it doesnt happen again!
johonny
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuart wrote:
GD and V?.. I wanted to call my son dennis but wasn't allowed...lol..so said I would name my next dog it.. Laughing
Laughing Laughing i'v always liked that name Very Happy
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sam wrote:
yes, but "gastric tortion" is an incorrect term for it. As I said, tortion indicates a twisting along the axis, wheras volvulus is something far more serious.

glad to hear hes cleared up though, lets just hope it doesnt happen again!

You wait till I tell my vet and wikipedia!! Laughing Wink
The ibd is something he will always have and we just have to be carefull what we feed him for the rest of his life..If it was bloat I would have shat myself even more I think...we tke all the precautions we can against bloat as I was made aware of this prior to getting him Cool
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You wait till I tell my vet and wikipedia!! Laughing Wink

hehe, its not my ruling-we just have it drilled into is constantly by our very exacting pathology professors. One of them started three lectures with " Now, just to make sure you know, THIS is volvulus, and THIS is torsion". They are always grumbling about clinicians using the wrong term!

Gastric dilatation can occur with or without volvulus-but if volvulus occurs then there is effective trapping of the gas, as eructation (belching) is prevented. Due to the nature of the "twist" the splenic vein may well be compressed leading to a swollen, congested spleen... not nice! Tortions are more commonly seen in the intestines.

They spend so long teaching us the proper terms for everything, so we can discuss it between each otehr without the risk of confusion (think of it like learning latin names for herps rather than using the ambiguous and confusing common names!)Then, in final year, they teach us how to reverse that completely and use the laymans terms for communication to clients... many of which make no sense (especially when you get into the horse world...tehres teh scientific, veterinary word for something, the "normal" word for something, and then the horsey persons word for it!)
jamie_s
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice to see he's looking better stu Wink i might shave my legs as a tribute to dennis Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Other Pets / Exotics All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: