Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is your View?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Other Pets / Exotics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carol
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't got much experience - but we looked after my neighbour's grey Woody for a couple of weeks. Awesome birds - not only talked but copied things in exactly same voice. Used to say "Get off, I've got a headache" in the wife's voice - bit of a telltale and quite embarrassing for them!!

My little bruv taught it to say "*RSE" in a Fast-Show styley - which it promptly shouted in the middle of an afternoon tea party our neighbour was holding with all her posh friends - we all thought it was hilarious - the neighbour however had a sense of humour failure and never asked us to Bird-Sit again!!

It was a beautiful bird - and really comical - he wouldn't fly and would follow you around walking everywhere! Go for a grey!!
crouchy
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im going to go against everyone else and say go with the caiques. Ive had both greys and caiques and the caiques have so much more personality, their only downside is that they are a bit small

http://www.freewebs.com/crouchys/
CB Rhampholeon Brevicaudatus (Pygmy Chams) Hatching now
Herpquest
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the pet shop is selling the Senegal parrots as Caiques, they are wrong. there are only two species of Caique - the White bellied and the Black Headed, both are 'Pionites' and originate from the Amazon region of South America.
The Senegal Parrots pictured originate from West Africa and are of the Poicephalus family.
Getting back to your question, the African Silver Grey is by far the best choice of the two.
Donski
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what you want from it ?
Caiques are incredibly cheeky, fun and easy to train .. get yourself a few training videos

http://www.24parrot.com/Parrot-Behaviour-and-Training-Part-1-DVD-P86480/

Greys are great mimics and incredibly intelligent, there is new evidence to prove they have cognitive intelligence. However they are far too intelligent to slavishly be obedient so tricks are at their discretion!
I have a grey George.. he is incredibly intelligent and affecionate.. more family than a pet.. he is just talking at a year old ( so he is probably female) woudn't be without him but trick training has been ... errr.. interesting LOL.. he tumbles, and does high fives... gives you a kiss but his "bring it to me" is driving me mad ! LOL

George

Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry herp they are caiques not senegals my bad Rolling Eyes as people say they are very funny to watch. i do have a bigger likeing to the greys as they seem to have a bigger personality i have been offerd a year old hand reard congo for 300 with a cage so i might take him im not sure yet. "jord" ilike the ones in the first picture, In dutch we call them Bonte boertjes. (which mean litteraly translated multicolored farmers. hahaha lol thats funny. GET Another feathery friend karen! sod your ex Evil or Very Mad thanks for the link donski the video looks interesting george does look quite cheeky dont he lol ours in the shop is taming down nice although she carnt stop saying fudge packer and her name lola Laughing theres jsut one bad thing birds or parrots tend to take to one person and my concearn is when i go to work. so i would want to bring mine to work but my manager is aloud to bring his blue fronted amazon to work so i think i should be allowed also just need to get a second cage . i think ive decided to go for a grey! who knows of any good breeders? Cool
Royal Python
Fire bellied Toads
And a Nutty Staffy
James
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my girlfriend works in a pet shop and they get alot of parrots in and she usually looks after them and cleans them out and i have got to say that caiques are so cool. what they lack in size they defiantly make up in personality and energy.

heres a photo my girlfriend took when cleaning out some of there cages. i think the ecclectus and grey are playing in the photo and not trying to kill each other but the face of the caique makes me chuckle i can imagine him thinking idiots.
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James wrote:
my girlfriend works in a pet shop and they get alot of parrots in and she usually looks after them and cleans them out and i have got to say that caiques are so cool. what they lack in size they defiantly make up in personality and energy.

heres a photo my girlfriend took when cleaning out some of there cages. i think the ecclectus and grey are playing in the photo and not trying to kill each other but the face of the caique makes me chuckle i can imagine him thinking idiots.

haha james the caigues face is so funny the two we have at work are very alike you walk in and they sit their and then sqawk for the attention and love pomegranate's! they do have a great personality they are realy tame you can let them hop onto your hand and climb all over you and if you have to pick them up they just sit their in your hand i think i have made a decision about getting a bird its gota be a caique. can any body tell me have they seen any of these for sale and how much? i'd like to know how much these sell for out of a shop? james could you ask if your girlfriend could get any more pictures of the birds mate? i'd love to see more cheers.
Royal Python
Fire bellied Toads
And a Nutty Staffy
Jas
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7109 wrote:
i have been offerd a year old hand reard congo for 300 with a cage so i might take him im not sure yet.

WOW 300 seems very cheap for a baby hand reared with a cage too Confused
I used to have a few pairs of these years ago and hand reared babys fetched 750 each. Sure its not a tame import? at a year old it should still have the pale grey eyes of a youngster. Very Happy
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt that its a hand reared bird for that..probably parent reared..
and dont want to be a party pooper mate but do not get one unless you have LOTS of time at home to spend with it..they aren't budgies and need constant human interaction otherwise they go downhill rapidly...
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of the above - get a budgie Laughing - we need more smilies on here!
Im more inclined towards birds of prey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Other Pets / Exotics All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: