Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MONSTER TOADS Part 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Amphibians
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sean
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should imagine breeding them would be very difficult due to trying to replicate the conditions of the wild when there is little data on them.

A big thanks goes to Charles Thompson at Snakes n Adders.
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So becuase it isnt easy we shouldnt try? thats the craziest thing I have read this week!

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
Sean
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I have not said that we shoudn't try what I said is there is little data to go on so I imagine it would be difficult. How many people have bred Bufo paracnemis. Bufo guttata, Bufo blombergi and Bufo alvarius, I bet not many if at all and we have good info for some of these species.
Sean
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJ wrote:
lol93 wrote:
Shouldn't setting up a breeding group for these guys be a priority? Confused

Ahmen! thats what annoyed me with the last lot that came in.....

Forgot to say that there is a couple of people with a pair or group hoping to breed these guys how successful they will be, well time will tell.
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good to hear Sean Cool As for the lack of breeding on some species it's something that needs to be done...

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
lophius
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done sean
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hence why I originally got a pair to try to bred them.

I know someone else who has done the same thing (not a forum member) also in an attempt to breed them.

I guess everyone who owns an amphibian or a herp will have considered at some point setting up a breeding project, after all how else would captive bred be available as all the original animals would have initially come from the wild.

MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool

The main thing to remember here is this:

Amphibians dont need alot of enviromental changes or natural barriers to eveolve or become site specific subspecies ect..

a large fast flowing river a cliff or some such can be enough to completly change a toad or frog from its normal state.

This being said, these toads are HUGE compared to the average B. marinus they come from (I pressume) a site where they have been cut of from the general population so have become larger due to enviromental factors yes this sounds a little crazy on my part but it holds water since there's been a few (I dont know how many have been brought in)

But its possible that the main breeding population of this group has been removed and is now (for the most part) being sold/brought/ kept as individual animals so eventually these guys wont be around.

Amphibians are also very differant to reptiles... in the sense that alot of south american amphibians are being wiped out by Chytridmycosis which is a fungal infection swarming across South America that coupled with other factors... destruction of the rain forest ect ect Amphibians are the most threatend of earths natural beauty.

It's good to hear there are actually a few people attempting breeding or planning too, if I had the large amoubt of $ it would take to set up a decent breeding group in the right way then I sure would Cool

Sorry to rattle on guys but amphibians are a major passion for me

Sean
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there was only about a dozen animals brought in which I took 7 in total. This is partly due to the location they are from, I am told it is quite unaccessable for many reasons plus the carriage costs on these are expensive for the importer.

As regards to breeding I wish these people luck.

Also on a different note there is one species of frog that I know of that the tadpoles only feed on a certain algae that is specific to the area and from my understanding these cannot be bred in captivity or have not upto now due to special requirements that make it almost impossible.
lol93
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJ wrote:
Cool

The main thing to remember here is this:

Amphibians dont need alot of enviromental changes or natural barriers to eveolve or become site specific subspecies ect..

a large fast flowing river a cliff or some such can be enough to completly change a toad or frog from its normal state.

This being said, these toads are HUGE compared to the average B. marinus they come from (I pressume) a site where they have been cut of from the general population so have become larger due to enviromental factors yes this sounds a little crazy on my part but it holds water since there's been a few (I dont know how many have been brought in)

But its possible that the main breeding population of this group has been removed and is now (for the most part) being sold/brought/ kept as individual animals so eventually these guys wont be around.

Amphibians are also very differant to reptiles... in the sense that alot of south american amphibians are being wiped out by Chytridmycosis which is a fungal infection swarming across South America that coupled with other factors... destruction of the rain forest ect ect Amphibians are the most threatend of earths natural beauty.

It's good to hear there are actually a few people attempting breeding or planning too, if I had the large amoubt of $ it would take to set up a decent breeding group in the right way then I sure would Cool

Sorry to rattle on guys but amphibians are a major passion for me

Very wise words, Paul. People often buy an animal without thinking of the consequences/implications for wild populations. As we know, the laws of supply and demand could cause the wild populations to be wiped out very soon, judging by their popularity so far.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Amphibians All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: