Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mealworms & Leopard Geckos
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Geckos - ALL species
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott W wrote:
Gina, have you tried pinks at all?

I have one group that I'm feeding pinks almost exclusively, they are the best looking in health terms out of all my leopards, I'm waiting to see what the long term effects will be and what difference it makes to the coming breeding season.

I have no real clue when it comes to gecko's but i thought i'd add my tuppence worth anywho.

Iguana farms feed high protein diets (ie mainly meat) to increase growth speed and general size. What this essentially does is promote muscle growth aswell as a hormone (i think thats the right term, its a chemical of some form anyway) that increases metabolism (unsure of name), this makes the animals look fit and healthy much quicker than there normally fed counterparts but it essentially burns them out and they die at a much younger age. I believe the average age was somewhere around 5 years for the protein fed animals and they gave up on the others (pretty much) as they were still going strong at 10 years.
I do have the paper on a disk somewhere around here, when i get to the bottom of the sh*t hole that is my desk i'll upload it.

What i am trying to get at is IF the iguanas are similar to your geckos you may find that they look great but die quickly.

The future is bright, the future is a net like pattern.................

I'm NOT an expert, so if you don't want to know my opinion don't ask!!
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Dan, like I said it will certainly be interesting to see what the long term differences are. I will try to keep good records so that it may benefit others in the future.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
gargoyle
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of mine are fed a staple diet of mealies, with locusts,crix, waxies fed as a bonus.
Jas
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:

I have no real clue when it comes to gecko's but i thought i'd add my tuppence worth anywho.

Iguana farms feed high protein diets (ie mainly meat) to increase growth speed and general size. What this essentially does is promote muscle growth aswell as a hormone (i think thats the right term, its a chemical of some form anyway) that increases metabolism (unsure of name), this makes the animals look fit and healthy much quicker than there normally fed counterparts but it essentially burns them out and they die at a much younger age. I believe the average age was somewhere around 5 years for the protein fed animals and they gave up on the others (pretty much) as they were still going strong at 10 years.
I do have the paper on a disk somewhere around here, when i get to the bottom of the sh*t hole that is my desk i'll upload it.

What i am trying to get at is IF the iguanas are similar to your geckos you may find that they look great but die quickly.

The reason for there short life span may well be that there feeding animal protien and not vegetable protien,there are some vege feeds that contain more protien than any meat.
Dan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the confusion Jas, thats exactly what i was getting at. The iggy's on the farm where fed a meat protein diet, much like Scott's gecko's.

The future is bright, the future is a net like pattern.................

I'm NOT an expert, so if you don't want to know my opinion don't ask!!
Jas
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jim_radley wrote:
I've heard feeding mealworms to geckos causes most to prolapse, because the build up of shells causes intestinal blockages. My local pet shop doesn't recommend feeding them in large numbers, and not to anything but adults. Has anyone else found this?

I think this came about from people keeping there lizards at too low a temperature, and so the feeders are not digested fully.
Jas
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

varanus wrote:

Personally i think its more important what youve fed the food item to gut laod it than what the food item is within reason

Couldnt agree more.

Its like when you see these nutritional anaylisis of feeder insects,it doesnt tell you much really because you dont know what they are feeding them.

BTW for the last week or so every time i look at a post it shows all the others as read, so im missing out on a few of the posts, anyone else having this prob?
UCWjitsuka
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to feed my leo an mix of mealies and crix. He'll eat a fair few mealies but gets bored of them, almost as if he's eaten all he wants, but then put in a crickets and he's off again!
ssthisto
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
Sorry for the confusion Jas, thats exactly what i was getting at. The iggy's on the farm where fed a meat protein diet, much like Scott's gecko's.

However, iguanas are obligate herbivores - the high-animal-protein diets caused early kidney failure, from what I understand.

Leopard geckos are insectivorous - they're used to animal protein in their diet. So one would think that their kidneys are equipped to handle a higher-protein diet - and that pink mice might not be that big a problem.

I'd like to know more about your pink-eating group, Scott - how often do you feed them pinks, how many at a feeding? I know I've got a couple of geckos who won't touch them, so I'm stuck with the tank of locusts anyway, but I've got a couple of geckos who love their pinkies.

Too many species for this signature space.
Gazz
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina wrote:
None of mine will eat mealies at all.

Is that the regular meal worm or the giant meal worm or both ? have you tryed the giant meal worms ? mind don't think much to the regular type but go mad for the giant ones as they are far more lively.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Geckos - ALL species All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: