Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

steni's
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Geckos - ALL species
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kat
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: steni's Reply with quote

Anybody else got any Stenodactylus sthenodactylus?

My friend has three of these brilliant little geckos. They have started laying eggs, does anyone know how long it takes for them to hatch?

plus does anyone have any tips for trying to maintain the temperature in a hovabator without a thermostat? or know where i could get a thermostat that would work with one?

I'll put some pictures up of them when i get them transferred to this computer...

thanks
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Kat,

great geckos, a touch on the small side but look great in a natural setup. Not sure how long the incubation is,I'm sure DanLay on here will know.

As for you hovabator, would a habistat dimming stat?

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
DanLay
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kat.
I've not kept Stenodactylus myself but a friend said that they hatch after just a few months ( Embarassed ) at 80-86f .
Be sure to get some photos up Smile .

Last edited by DanLay on Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Matt Lusty
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep and breed these. Very cool little geckos. Love the way they squeak and whistle at each other Cool
They will take around 55 days to hatch at 82ºF. Shorter for higher temps, but be careful if going upto 86ºF as they will die in the egg. Any other questions, please let me know and I'll see if I can help Wink
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matt,
Can they be kept in small colonies or will the males fight?

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Kat
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks matt,

they already laid some eggs a couple of months back, and they were fertile and started to develop but failed to hatch, put them in the hovabator on a lid of sand set on top of vermiculite. Any idea why they would fail? temp was kept between 28-30 degrees...

I've heard that there will be a dominant male and they will live in a colony? obviously there will be fighting initially.

Also the male used to be kept on his own and was quite outgoing, but the ladies were introduced and now he hides all the time Sad
Matt Lusty
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott W wrote:
Hi Matt,
Can they be kept in small colonies or will the males fight?

I have successfully kept and bred them in a small colony, but only 1 male will breed. If you seperate them to pairs or trios you will have much better success though and the smaller males will become breeders 2 weeks after seperating them from the dominant male Wink

Quote:

they already laid some eggs a couple of months back, and they were fertile and started to develop but failed to hatch, put them in the hovabator on a lid of sand set on top of vermiculite. Any idea why they would fail? temp was kept between 28-30 degrees...

Was the vermiculite damp at all? If you incubate on a damp medium, then the eggs will spoil and fail Wink For best results, just use dry sand with an outside air humidity of only 30%.

With the females being the larger of the sexes, the male can sometimes feel intimidated by them and will initially hide, but give it a few more weeks and he should be more of his usual self Wink
Kat
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the incubation advice. the girls have been in there a good while now, but i think he is getting a wee bit bullied. We did notice the ladies were much bigger. He stil seems to be able to muster up the courage to do the business though!

How do you heat yyour set-ups? these are being kept just with a heat mat, which did cook one of the eggs because they weren't removed immediately, so how do you get around that?

Thanks again!
Matt Lusty
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heat mine with heatmats.
Usually when the first signs of the females being gravid, you will have 4 weeks before they lay. After that it's 2 weeks more or less to the day for the next lot and 2 weeks continuous after that Wink If you miss the first clutch, give it 2 weeks then the next clutch will be there Wink This will give you time to 'catch' the eggs in time Wink
Kat
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Geckos - ALL species All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: