Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are the new courier rules coming into force?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike h
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: What are the new courier rules coming into force? Reply with quote

Hi
I phoned a reputable reptile person/shop today with view to ordering an animal if they could courier. His reply was they don't and said from April no one will be able to.
Does anyone know what is happening in this area? What the law etc will be?

thanks
mike
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest I heard was that the new rules came into effect on the 1st Jan but certain parts were dropped.

I have no idea what is happening about it all now Confused

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked the courier company that I use about this, they have no plans to change and still courier livestock.

Chris Newman
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of January 5th 2007 the new Animal Transport Regulations came into effect.
http://www.defra.gov.uk/news/2007/070105b.htm

Anyone one transporting animals for an 'economic activity' over 40 miles is required to be authorized (or licensed) to do so.

The new Animal Welfare Act comes info force on April 6th, again this has very significant implications FOR ALL animal keepers.
Goose
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and what might they be?

peace, love and captive breeding
slippery42
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: transport regs Reply with quote

I've had a qucik read and will read thoroughly, but I am of the opinion that this relates mainly to LIVESTOCK i.e farm issues.

I believe that although animals in general are covered Herpetofauna would not be a problem.

I as a businessman would feel happy moving Herps and will do so!

Using Nikon D300's and pro lenses
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're quite right, it is geared up to protect the well being of the larger animals, horses,sheep & cattle etc but because it's NOT specific technically the RSPCA could try and bring a prosecution against someone transporting reptiles via an overnight courier even though the reptile is perfectly suited to such travel.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
slippery42
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Welfare of Animals during transport Reply with quote

This makes very good reading and I've e-mailed DEFRA for confirmation of a couple of points.

If you take the touble to read the act which is in a pdf format there are a couple of points which leap out at you.

A friend said to me that this would hinder transport of critters for lets say HAMM next month (and similar) but as long as you own the animals then its ok to move them anywhere (as long as you take into account cites and so on).

There is a section which mentions exotics and that puts the responsability back onto the owner to ensure they are fit and housed correctly and in the case of Herpetofauna provided they are corrrecly housed in containers the vehilce in which they are traveling does not need inspecting and therefore licensing.

Anyway its heavy reading and I'll wait for my reply from DEFRA but as I said earlier I do not see any problems.....mind you I am not a lawyer

Using Nikon D300's and pro lenses
mike h
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks everyone.
Hopefully it will clear things up and possible be in our favour. some courier firms who dont take reptiles might start taking them!
slippery42 it will be good to hear what defra say.
mike
Chris Newman
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new Animal Transport Regulations absolutely apply to reptiles, as they do to all companion animals – that is absolutely clear and beyond doubt. What is also clear is any ‘business’ that transports more than 40 miles MUST hold an ‘Authorized Transporter’ certificate, failure to register as such is an offence. This came into effect on January 5th.

What is less clear is how this will affect keepers and non-commercial breeders, the issue is the phrase used is ‘Economic Activity’. This could be applied to events such as Hamm, and I do have concerns for people traveling to and from Hamm with reptiles for sale.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: