Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reptile Radiator Question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BallGuy
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reptile Radiator Question Reply with quote

We're looking at buying or building some 72" x 24" x 24" vivs for some of our collection that are starting to out grow Really Usefull Boxes and since they will be stackable etc, mats arent a realistic option. Has ayone got any experience of the Habistat Reptle Radiators? Will the do a six foot viv? Or should I be looking at a Microclimate AHS?

Thanks.
arborealad
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant give any advice about them, but i would also like to know if these are good at heating biggish vivs. I want to use one in my chondro viv purely to get the space back that the bulb guard is taking up.
Being only 75watts i was a bit dubious at first so hopefully someone will enlighten us both. Wink
BallGuy
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm even more doubtful now having read the Microclimate website they are recommending the 500W AHS for a six foot viv. It atleast has a pulse stat built in, but I was hoping to get a night time drop stat to make cooling easier, because it would be a pain to have to open the viv and manually adjust twice a day.
arborealad
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep my thoughts exactly. Those AHS units really would of been the bees knees if they'd of put a magic eye on them or timer switch for a night time drop aswell. That was the only thing that stopped me buying one in the first place.
lol93
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have an AHS in our water dragon viv, but it's left on a single setting as it's just for background temp. They also have a spot bulb.
Pendlehog
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reptile radiators are only really capable of heating 4ft vivs. They are nice heaters but mine only got up to temperature in 4footers and the room also had some background heating.

AHS heaters are probably the way to go - and I echo the sentiment on having a timer built in!
arborealad
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi hannah my vivs only three feet long but its a two foot width and height so it would be a fairly large airspace to heat. Do you think the radiator would be up to the job?
penfold
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: radiators Reply with quote

hi ya i sell and use both reptile radiators and the micoclimata a.h.s the radiators are great in small vivs i use them at home with my emerald tree boas and have no problems wat so ever but the vivs are only two foot square ish they are lightning fibre glass vivs but i use the micro climate in big vivs one of which is 7 foot tall 3 foot deep and same wide and again they are fantastic i would use these in any viv of 4x2x2 and over as they work spot on plus the chap that makes them is really helpfull if you ring him Very Happy
arborealad
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightning vivs? never heard of them. Got any links?
BallGuy
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightnings are like hens teeth, but even a second hand lightning apparently is a much sought after thing. The vivs I'd really like to get my hands on are boaphiles, but I've never had a reply to an email when I've enquired about international shipping. www.boaphileplastics.com

I'll probably give the guy at Microclimate a call, I've bought all my stuff direct from him in the past (no local supplier) and have always found him really helpful. Maybe he can suggest something that will work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: