Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lighting Help
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisM
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Lighting Help Reply with quote

Sorry if this or similar has been asked before...

Am building a stack atm, and dude to limited room, it would be much easier if I mounted light strips down the side rather than the top. I know this would create 'funny light' areas, but the main questions is- would a Cham' still be able to get everything needed from lights mounted this way?

Hope that made sense and didnt sound to stupid!

Chris
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did not sound stupid at all, good question, I do know folk that mount lights in this manner for their chams.

My preference is for overhead lighting, but I guess it would depend upon viv size and precise mounting spot, also species of cham?

Reflectors could still be fitted to ensure good UV coverage, and if required species dependant, you could opt for deep penetration reptisun 10's by Zoo-Med.

Only a suggestion; but if possible I would be inclined to mount them on the back wall of viv upper section horizonatally. Near to the top of viv as possible and angle the reflector to cast light downwards to cover all of viv especially basking area, also if angling down the reflector this will help to reduce direct glare into the chams eyes. Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on, would be good to see pics of your evolving stack.

ChrisM
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, yer could somehow mount on the top / back.
This is the stack as it was last night (been out all day, so about to start again).

The Cham's will be in the top tank, is meshed 1/2 top, and 1/4 back, hopefully is anough ventilation.
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so that i know, the chams will be in the top viv the empty one as shown in the pic? Or in the viv that is already set up? Which species of cham are you getting or have got?

UV lights could be mounted on the tops of each viv, just drill at back run leads through and reconnect cable up. use mini screws via light reflector clips instead of the plastic ones supplied and screw direct into each viv top. That would work. May I ask the measurement of the viv for the chams? If the top is mesh the plastic supplied mini nuts and bolts will do. Just fix direct through the mesh.

ChrisM
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plan I 'plan' to have them in is the middle one (the viv in the case already), the tank to the right has FBT, thats going in the hole below. Measurements are 24 x 18 x 12. Was hoping would be big anough for a Yemen. What you think? If not, big anough for Milk frogs?
Unsure what i'm going to do with that small bit up top, as already have a cupboard down the bottom. The top is only 10inches deep, so prob to low for most things. maybe just use as a food store...

It is a converted Argos bookcase, as my plans on a DIY build proved to be far to expensive. Sadly no room for mantids in the build, oh well, will just have to build another one. heheh.
jamesj
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be suitable for a baby yeman, but waaay too small for an adult. Adults need about 3x3x4 (36x36x48 in inches) and bigger if possible.

Cant help with the milk frogd idea since I know knothing about them, but thought id point that out about yemans.
ChrisM
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks James.
ChrisM
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting there. Sorry about double pics, playing with flash etc.

Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Chris, a Yemen will grow quite large and requires a well ventilated viv a suitable size minimum would be 3foot thigh by 2 foot wide byt 18-24 inches deep preferable 24 inches deep. I converted a standard four foot high by three foot wide by two feet deep wooden viv for mine. It now has 70% mesh ventilation, most crucial is complete mesh at top and a good portion of mesh front lower bottom, to allow cross air flow. Hot air out the top draws in coll air from lower front. The veiled chameleon requires high levels of ventilation this may help:

www.martinsreptiles.co.uk/ukchams/calyptratus_caresheet.htm

I keep milk frogs and ideally they need a glass tank to hold the humidity. A tall tank is best as thye are arboreal.

Do not be put off though, your building of the stack is of high quality but may I politely suggest a bit of a rethink about what you might put in it. cheers Rick

ChrisM
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rickeezee wrote:

Do not be put off though, your building of the stack is of high quality but may I politely suggest a bit of a rethink about what you might put in it. cheers Rick

Cool, thanks Rickeezee. This is my first attempt. When I look now, I should have not put the middle tank in, and then coverted everything above the fbt's tank into a tall viv. I miss measured, the original plan was to have the mantid tanks right up the top!!

Any thing you can suggest for either tank?

Only limit- misses doesnt like snakes, t's, or scorps!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: