Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UK herps
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Reptiles in the field
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: UK herps Reply with quote

Don't you just love the way the world works?

A few weeks back the frog season started. Little ones around the size of a 20p started to appear, there were hundreds of these. We had around 10 come in the back door and into the kitchen everynight for a good 2 weeks. This was followed by the arrival of the larger ones, probably larger as they ate the smaller ones? These stayed the longest (about 4 weeks) and were up to around the 10p size. Towards the end we got the toads, however unlike the frogs these appeared in all sizes, from babies the size of my little finger nail right up to adults the size of a satsuma. I'm not sure why they came in all sizes in one go? Either way this part of the season melted into the end of the frog season and there were both in the kitchen for 2-3 days. Then it all stopped, for around 7-10 days we had nothing then the other night it began again. This time it was the newts.
We are now coming to the end of "mini-newt" season which should be followed by larger newt season.

It was the same last year and i expect it will be the same next year (for who ever lives here then). I just find it fascinating that year in year out these animals follow the same marching order with a calender that seems to be only days out each time (presumably weather based).

It is nice living next to the common, so much can be gained just by sitting out there and listening/watching the world go by.

As for the reason behind this post, meet Tiny. Named such because he is my newt Wink Laughing (sorry, couldnt help it)

Disclaimer, Tiny was in the house a very short period and is now back in the garden again, where he belongs. I wish him a pleasant journey to where ever it is he is going Very Happy BTW, he looked to be a palmate, if anyone was wondering.

The future is bright, the future is a net like pattern.................

I'm NOT an expert, so if you don't want to know my opinion don't ask!!
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they possibly all looking for or heading for their hibernating spots do you think?
Visit our website - Gwelwch ein Gwefan
www.btcvcymru.org
Llinell Gymorth / Helpline: 08702 40 48 41

Last edited by Peter Parrot on Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that is a distinct possibility. When you look at a map and draw a line from the lake area on the common directly through my house it also follows through our village to the uninhabited areas/woods between our village and the next along.

I suspect it just so happens that the row of houses we live in happens to be smack bang in the middle of an "amphibian road". Man getting in the way as usual!!

Dan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As if by magic i found a straggler!!

955i
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to be catching so thought I may as well join in Laughing
Dan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooooooh, yours is a big one!!

Out of interest have you noticed anything similar to my comments above when it comes to frequency of each visitor type?

955i
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just keep finding frogs and toads on my doormat when I go out. It happened three days on the trot
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

talking of UK herps, a friend had to find some adders last week for the BBC, they were pushing their luck at this time of year but they found one on Thursday 12th Oct...anyone seen any later than this?

This was within the M25.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott, it`s a long time back now but I clearly remember on more than one occasion seeing Adders basking at a spot on the border of Surrey and Hampshire on a particularly fine Winters day with SNOW on the ground.

I think that after one or two days of sunshine that they aroused from hibernation to bask. Obviously returned to the hiberniculum in the afternoon. I wouldn`t have believed it myself unless I had seen it with my own eyes. I don`t remember whicn month it was but there was snow on the ground, that I do remember clearly. You are talking about 27-28 years ago.
Visit our website - Gwelwch ein Gwefan
www.btcvcymru.org
Llinell Gymorth / Helpline: 08702 40 48 41
Mememe
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a few small newts today

No man is an Island. Except the Isle of Man.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Reptiles in the field All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: