Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lighting Question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maz
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Lighting Question Reply with quote

If I use an Arcadia compact lamp with the reflector fitting, can I rest this directly on top of the mesh screen on my exo terra viv? I want it to create a basking area on the branches below. Any help would be great! Cheers,maz.
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done this without any problems, doesn't seem to get very hot at all.

Just watch out for the polystrene on the back of the viv, I melted a few of mine with power suns Embarassed Laughing

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have placed heat lamps direct on mesh with no ill affects or you could Just lay a couple of half inch thick strips of wood across the top and rest it on those, may help the light to penetrate better being a tad further away from the mesh?

Jan O
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Arcadia D3 Compact lies in its bracket, with reflector, straight on the mesh and I haven't had any problems. So yes it should be fine.The reflectors make a huge difference dont they?
love Jan o
maz
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies!
Jan o,I haven't got mine yet,its more a bit of forward planning. I have the glass terranium and fancied using the compact 7% bulb to provide the UV.
I will have to experiment to see if this provides enough heat for basking on the branches below the mesh.
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not used these compacts yet are they any good please, tell me all about them hehehe no starter required? thanks. I like 4ft long uv tubes with reflectors for young hcams etc as I can lay one across many tnaks, but for adults may be nice to swap over? Or indeed for other lizards?

Jan O
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the D3 compact for my Beardie. I read the UV article on the UKCham pages and I read all about it on the Arcadia web site. In all honesty I cant fault them as a source of UV. The only whinge I have is that the holder bracket comes seperate and retails around £11.00 and the reflector retails about £9.00.But as for UV output its great and lasts on average slightly longer than a tube of the same %. The holder accepts the cheaper Namibia compact lamp which is also 8%.They obviously take up far less room in a viv, sit nicely on top of tanks like an exo or small repatarium, do not get hot to the touch although the reflector does come with a guard which I dont use it when its ontop of the viv.Looking just like an energy saving lightbulb, I think for the price they do a darn good job. My Beardie certainly appreciates it as before I went over to this I had the bog standard uv tube- the difference in my BD's colour and activity was obvious from day 1, so I never use anything else for him now.
love Jan o
PS Thats right Rick, No starter as its self ballasted. Which means the minute you switch it on its on, no warm up flickers, Maz, I'm not sure it will provide enough heat to act as a bask lamp though, whats going to bask under it?
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I will try some of these for my Phelsumas and beardies. THnaks for the info Jan.

maz
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at some small day geckos but the prices I've seen seem very high!
Maybe some anoles as I plan to plant the viv fairly heavily.
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maz wrote:
I was looking at some small day geckos but the prices I've seen seem very high!
Maybe some anoles as I plan to plant the viv fairly heavily.

Hello what type of day gex . How much was being asked, if you dont me asking?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: