Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dwarf monitors - diet?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Monitors - big & small!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neep_neep
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Dwarf monitors - diet? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm brand new to the reptile keeping scene (and don't actually keep any at the moment...) but i've been creating my little list of things to research and potentially keep when circumstances allow (frogs, various geckos, uromastyx and chameleons are top of the list at the moment!) Wink

After browsing many a forum and herp site, and seeing an article about Kimberley Rocks in one of the recent Reptile Care Magazines, i've decided that I quite like the look of monitors (I can fully understand how people's herp collections can expand to pretty substantial sizes!)

Anyway, my problem is that I wouldn't be able to bring myself to feed rodents to my reps (personal choice having kept rats for 10 years...i'm not having a go at anybody, I have no problems with others doing it - after all, captive reptiles have got to eat! I just personally would not be able to do it! Embarassed Rolling Eyes )

So, in a bit of a rambley, roundabout way, are there any types of monitor kept in captivity in the UK which require a diet that doesn't include rodents? I have no problems with crickets/locusts etc. (however hypocritical that may seem Embarassed )

Of course, if there aren't any monitors with the sort of diet i'm suggesting, then no worries, I shall cross them off my list!

*sigh* Sad

(I can just imagine the OH sighing with relief...if he could get me to cross off even a quarter of the things on my list it would save him a small fortune! Wink )

So yeh, any input most appreciated! Though I have a feeling that the answer to my question will most likely be a resounding 'No'.... but thanks in advance Smile
huskers360
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:51 am    Post subject: Actually Reply with quote

there are many monitors that you can keep that dont require rodents for thier diet, such as all of the dwarf monitor species; ackies, timors, kimberly rocks, pilbara rock monitors, black head monitors, freckled monitors. Of that list I suggest you do some reseach on the ackie monitors, they are the best overall monitor for a beginner, or for anyone in my opinion, and im sure most will agree with me. Hope that helps.
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said above, you can keep the dwarf monitors on an insect diet but it's harder to supply enough food for them, not impossible at all but just requires more frequent feeding.

V. kingorum are good insect eating monitors, very small and active. Ackies are also good.

To add some meat into the diet you can feed them rabbit (diced) from a butchers.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Kat
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is the smallest dwarf monitor?
JStroud
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Varanus brevicauda (Australian Pygmy Monitor) Wink
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kat wrote:
what is the smallest dwarf monitor?

V. kingorum are probably the smallest you will be able to buy, brevicauda are rarely offered for sale.

The kimberly rocks are a good 'small' size, a 4ft x 2ft viv would be plenty big enough.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
neep_neep
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow, that's excellent! Thank you!

From reading the article, I was under the impression that Kimberley Rocks were supposed to have a mainly rodent diet supplemented with locusts and crickets etc...but, thanks for letting me know otherwise! Very Happy

Also just wondering - you mention diced rabbit, what other sorts of meat would be suitable? Or is it really only rabbit?
Mwoxy
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey rabbits won't interfere with your non rodent diet.....they're lagamorphs!!!! And you can get it from the butcher.

Cheers
Mark
neep_neep
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries, I wouldn't have any problems with feeding rabbit/other meats (as i'm not a vegetarian by ANY stretch of the imagination! Laughing ) was just wondering whether other red meats such as beef/lamb were suitable, or even white meats like chicken?
Bloodboy2000
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found turkey mince to be a firm favorite as well. Very Happy

Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Monitors - big & small! All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: