Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Housing help please LEP gex male / female mix
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Geckos - ALL species
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Housing help please LEP gex male / female mix Reply with quote

Hi, the guy in my local rep shop said that baby Lep Gex can be housed together untill about a year old irrespective of gender, then seperate out any males at approx 1 year. I know just 1 male per viv when adult, question is, is what he said true until they are a year old please.

Thanks

Jas
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally wouldnt follow that advice, they will be sexually mature before a year old and if you have multiple males with females present your going to get fighting. I would initially raise them together and then every couple of weeks sort them for size into different units depending on how many your getting.
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jas, so how old b4 they can be sexed I have heard it's quite difficult?

I will follow the advice btw.

The gex are 4 weeks old £21.99 each or 2 for £40, apparently from USA cause the rep shop can't get them at the mo in the uK? tHE GUY IN THE SHOP SAID THERE IS A HIGH PROBABLITY THAT THEY WILL AL BE FEMALES AS IT IS CHEAPER FOR BREEDERS TO HATCH OUT FEMALES THAN MALES? , sorry about caps left them on was not shouting Laughing

Thanks

Rick

Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to ask, at what age are they sexually mature? What is best wooden viv harder to heat with a mat, or glass viv easier to heat with a mat. Any views appreciated, thanks.

Rick

Jas
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can mature at 6 months but its more about size really, norm for breeding seems to be around 40g and up, as for sexing males will have preanal pores but at 4 weeks may be a bit hard to see, as they grow they will come clearer and will also develop hemepenile buldges.
Jas
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should of said as well the longer you put off breeding the females the better it will be for them as all there effort will go into growth rather than egg production.
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers Jas

Housing no problem, I have lots of tanks etc so can easily house them seperate until whenever. Ta for the info. Can use Mrs Ricks kitchen scales to weigh them! Will have to invest in a good book or three. Any good books you can recommend Jas?

Thanks Rick

Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a fantastic book is The Herpetoculture of Leopard Geckos 'Twenty Seven Generations of Living Art' by Ron Tremper, over 250 pages with colour morph guides and excellent info throughout.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scott, I shall go to the Amazon later and hunt a copy down!

Is there any fact behind this please:

The gex are 4 weeks old £21.99 each or 2 for £40, apparently from USA cause the rep shop can't get them at the mo in the uK?

tHE GUY IN THE SHOP SAID THERE IS A HIGH PROBABLITY THAT THEY WILL ALL BE FEMALES AS IT IS CHEAPER FOR BREEDERS TO HATCH OUT FEMALES THAN MALES? (left caps on sorry).

Can they not be got in the UK? Is the female / breeder thing true?

Thanks Rick

Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The UK season hasn't started yet, so the geckos may well be from the USA, 1000's are imported each year.

As for 'cheaper' to produce females, well not really, although once of a sexable age it is certainly cheaper for the breeder to house 10 females together than it is to house 10 males seperately.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Geckos - ALL species All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: