Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A bit concerned now
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Chameleons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jan O
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: A bit concerned now Reply with quote

Can anyone advise please? I got my male baby Yemens on Jan 20th, on arrival he was beautifully coloured a light green with odds flashes of pink,. Since that day he has been varoius shades of brown. I thought at first that the Reaptarium was too dark for him so corrected that, the temps, humidity etc are fine,He eats very well and drinks daily,The really queer thing is mine is the 3rd one I know of who has turned brown and stayed brown. I dont mean this to sound as bad as it does but.. the whole reason I wanted a cham in the first place was because they are just so darn beautifull, well everyoine elses seems to be anyway!. I will never part with him, God no hes family!. but would really like some advice on him. Thanks. Lily-pad
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

How old is he, is he defo a male (small spur on rear of each rear foot, Tarsal Spur) ? Is he pacing the enclosure, is he feeding well, what are the temps, basking spot and UVA/B provided? Does he appear relaxed?

Sorry to ask so many questions. They do change colours at times for different reasons as I'm sure you know. Hence the questions. Males do, to greater / lesser extents display brown vertical horizonatal lines / banding, with greens / blues as the main body colour. When my yems were younger they displayed brown sometimes, lighter colours when relaxed.

Rick

Jan O
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Brown? Reply with quote

Hi, His temps are "by the book" that is his basking spot is 89F the thermal gradient dropping to 79, he has no night heating of course. He has all the necesseties needed to be a nice green cham- he just isnt! He eats and drinks and the fecal sample taken to the vets was returned as "un-remarkable". His overall health is just fine, no other syptoms as I said only this damn browness which is both puzzling and quite a dissapointment. I have got a smaller wood and mesh type cham viv here that I intend to move him into, the only concern here is the move itself will be stressful to him so it could be a while before I see any real results from the change, if theres any to be seen. As for his age I think hes about 25 weeks although I cant be sure and am waiting for the breeder to get back to me on this.Its a mystery and I can only hope hes not one of those that stays this colour all his life.
Lily-pad
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry it's beyond me.

Keep us updated though, I've not personally come across this b4.

Rick

Jan O
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:09 am    Post subject: brown Reply with quote

Thanks for the help, its got me stumped too especially as I know of 3 from the same clutch are all the same brown colouration. As luck would have it I have an empty cham set up here and all the time in the world to give all my animals, so.... I am now looking for a young GREEN, got to be Green, male Yemens. Will try to post pics of my lad so you can see exactley what I mean. I have just read all 73 pages of a USA cham forum and apperantly this colouration is more common than youd think. Just my luck huh!. Will keep you posted
Lily-pad
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say his about 25 weeks old, in my thinking that must be about 6 months so he must be quite big? Is he completley brown all over, does his colur change when he is asleep? My male yem, Alfie, is about 5 motnhs old and he is huge! Has creamy brown banding and splashes of creamybrown lengthways along his body but background colour is a variety of greeny blues and hints of yellow. Predominantly green though.Perhaps it is a genetic thing? I have seen them when young with immature colours and they remain brown for a few hours due to certain factors but not remain brown all the time.

Sorry I can't be of any help, but as b4 not come across this.

Rick

mark
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have a basking lamp and a uv strip light ?
Jan O
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Brown Reply with quote

Hi Mark, Of course he has uv and a basking lamp!! As my post says he has everything needed to be a nice "normal;" green cham he just isnt, up untill yesterday neither was the 2nd of 3- all from the same clutch- all kept by different keepers in slightly different enviroments. The 2nd one turned yellow and green on Sunday his delighted owner told me. So the only thing in my house thats green now is me!- with ENVY.. It remains a mystery as I have said before, temps, humidity etc are spot on, its just plain weird.
lily-pad
Jan O
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: White Rabbit Reply with quote

Jefferson airplane later known as jefferson starship, brilliant lead singer grace slick brilliant album surrealistic pillow!
Lily-pad
Nerys
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know a little of the others from the same clucth, and from all that i ahve been told, they are being kept in what should be A1 yemen conditions... but all still being brown...

i know rob's been consulted on at least one of them too, to no avail.. its STILL brown...

as to your other question, yes, i have, and they look this colour, only changing to stripy and spotty when i try and do something to them!

i let 20 go last week to a friend with a shop, and from speaking to him this morning, they are all still green and eating Smile

N
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Chameleons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: