Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crix / Locust housing help please
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Crix / Locust housing help please Reply with quote

Can anyone please tell me how they house their breeding colonies of crix / locusts please.

I think I have gone about it in a non-economical manner.

I bought lots of large plastic tanks, well ventilated, that house them. Heat mats and clamp on halogen spots for light. It strikes me that each set up has worked out quite expensive.

They take up a lot of room, takes quite a while doing the daily veg feed and the weekly clean out!

It has now dawnd on me that larger set ups would have been best, live n learn eh. Less lighting units larger heat mats, less time tending to each set up! Shocked

What I would like to ask is; what does everyone use for a large set up, how do you make whatever you use escape proof. Thanks.

PS if anyone wants to buy a bulk load of various size plastic herp tanks, exo terra faunariums large size, and large size lees herp tanks let me know Wink
Cheers

Rick

jak2108
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep locusts brown crix and black crix all together in an 18x15x15 glass aguarium. I have a 60watt houehold bulb in there which is on all the time and gives 80-90*. I have a coffee jar lid with water along with cotton wool balls to stop them drowning. A jam jar lid full of ground up dog biscuits and a ferrero rochet lid full of romain lettuce. I sprinkle calcium powder over everthing and they all grow like hell!!!
I buy them in small sizes and within a week or two they have doubled or tripled in size so it works out cheaper. At the moment i have about 600 about 1/4" big!!!!
I am sure that cos the bugs are well fed my beardy has grown at an alarming rate.
My beardy has grown to 11"t/l and is 4 months old with quite a belly!!!

Dont know if this helps you but the only thing i had to buy for my set up was the tank.
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, I have just mad eup a large set up now with a huge cardboard box, 20 wat spots and a heat mat, just cut large holes in it and covered with fine mesh.

Thanks Rick

JStroud
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adult crickets were kept in large steep sided plastic boxes with tape round the inside about 3/4 of the way up to stop them climbing out. Fill the box with egg crate and place an egg box filled with peat at the top. Make sure the room is heated, crickets are the worlds thermometers, the quicker they chirp the warmer it is. Then slices of potatoes were used for water and trout pellet used to 'beef' them up.

The eggs boxes were removed and then hatchlings brought up in smaller boxes with scrunched newspaper. You can vary the diet of the crickets, as you know the better you feed them the better the animal that eats them will benefit from them. Cool
schoedaniel
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where can i get empty egg cartons from, apart from my fridge lol.
JStroud
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea, I don't even know where we got all ours from Laughing
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schoedaniel wrote:
where can i get empty egg cartons from, apart from my fridge lol.

try yellow pages...under free range chickens or something similar, you could then ask if they would sell you a bundle at a time (144 in a pack)

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
schoedaniel
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

144! wowzer that's alot i just need enough to keep a weeks worth of crix for a beardie alive for as long as poss to save me going shop everyday. I've just actually found some on ebay 10 1 dozen cartons for 2 quid that sounds okay, how often would the cartons need changing because 144 may end up better.
schoedaniel
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've heard of people using a bran substrate for the bottom? is this correct and where can i get it from? is it the same as kellogs all-bran lol!
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need a substrate but they do require some bran in their diet. Go to a equestrian supplier, you want bran that is fed to horses Wink about £6 for 20 kgs!

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: