Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

set up questions?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Bearded, Rankins & Frilled Dragons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pamela_s
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: set up questions? Reply with quote

hi there am going to get a beardie hopefully soon but going to research loads first
i would like a juvenile as would like to watch it grow i know i will have to use kitchen towel to start with but what age can they have sand substrate and is calcium sand OK? also how much roughly do one beardie cost per month and are they happy on there own thanks Smile
dantro
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, kitchen roll is ok, i found that alot of the crickets will just run and hide so i changed to a cut piece of lino, which can be taken out and wiped clean when needed but kitchen roll will do the job.
And yeah they are fine on their own, and unless they are girls they will get to a certain age and have to be separated so u will end up with having to have 2 setups etc ...
My babies went onto playsand at 3 months and were fine, its up to you really though.
Hope this helps ...
cheers Very Happy
pamela_s
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi dantro cool i will just get one then yer helps loads thank Smile didn't even think of lino Smile someone said they feed them out of the viv so they know your not feeding them when you put your hand in and that way they also won't eat sand is this a good idea in your opinion or a no no thanks
dantro
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can feed them out of the tank if you want to, it never worked for me as they were always too interested of their new surroundings to eat but it works for alot of people so give it a go, the lino works well tho ...
Then try the sand when they are old enough, and by that time they will have a good aim for the food catching so u can d=feed them in the viv if u want to ...
Very Happy
pamela_s
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks dan sounds good ill see how it goes can't wait to get he/she ill post some pics, should be going to local rep place on Friday Razz thanks again Smile
alastair
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we feed ours veggies in the viv and crickets outside, but thats mainly cos its fun and gives them a bit of exercise. We put them on sand at about 4 months old. As regards 1 or 2 ours were bought as a pair of females and they seemed to interact. I think in the wild they are social animals, so a pair may be better, but lots of people keep them on their own without probs.
Be careful if you do that tho'. One the the females spontaneously mutated into a male so we had to separate them
0.1 royals owned by mikey
dantro
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful if u get a pair unless ur ready for the whole babies and feeding etc, mine mated once and i had a total of 45 babies, so i would really stick to one if i were you. Very Happy
pamela_s
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow wouldn't want to have to separate them so think think ill stick to 1 wouldn't want to have any babies let alone 45 Smile cool ill feed them out side and veg inside what do you suggest for heat my local rep place says put a heat mat on the back side of viv and put a branch close so he cal lie next to it does that sound ok i wouldn't want him to burn himself if it was on the floor due to heat spots do u think it would give enough heat out thanks Smile
dantro
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For daytime heat ur gonna need a spotlight or ceramic, so he has a basking area, ceramic linked to a thermostat, or a spot u can have direct to the mains but you have to make sure its the right distance from the basking spot to give u the right basking temperature. If ur house is not particularly cold u can just turn it off at night. Its all about the temps though ... Very Happy
pamela_s
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers Smile thanks for all the info everyone im going to be a pain Embarassed my mum said the viv is a bit big to have at the moment until we clear the spare room so im getting a corn snake first then beard but the info ant wasted as my mum as agreed i can get a beard when the decorating is done and the room can be for guests and my reps so im pleased i will be getting her tamoz (baby corn) thanks again everyone Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Bearded, Rankins & Frilled Dragons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: