Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hog nose question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Snakes - General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jayed
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Hog nose question Reply with quote

Afternoon all!!

First non intro post..Smile

I have a quick question about my hoggie (Kartush). I got her in October, feeding well until mid November, when she stopped eating for a month (tank became too cold, but as soon as it heated up she started eating like a pig again). She shed in early Jan.

During her shed (which was textbook perfect and complete) she spent a lot of time under her water bowl, refusing to go into the moss bowl I provided for her!

Since she shed she has become a hungry monster! Before she shed (not just before) she was a take it or leave it snake. Now she strikes at the food as I am putting it down, and last week chased me to get to her food! She even went mad when I was feeding a pinkie to Albert (my newt)!! Is this normal? (edit to add she eats a pinkie every 3/4 days)

The other bit of this question relates to the water bowl, she has taken to hiding under there every now and then (obviously its wet and dark), she normally digs into her substrate. Is this normal? Should I provide her with a moss bowl again? She only goes into the water bowl when she falls in, and its big enough for her.

Thanks!

Victoria
herp_boi
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As to- her eating like a pig.
Yes this is quite normal after brumation. Or when the tank goes cold Smile
If you were to breed her this would be the time as she would be fed up and ready to breed. Razz
1.1 Varanus acanthurus
0.1 Python Regius
0.0.10 varanus acanthurus eggs. Very Happy
0.0.31 Heterodon nasicus eggs.
http://www.freewebs.com/njbherps/index.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lynne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what size is she. i have a male who hasnt started to eat again yet, but he is on small mice when he is eating. is yours a baby or sub adult???? maybe upping her food size would be an idea?? depending on her size that is.
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynne wrote:
what size is she. i have a male who hasn't started to eat again yet, but he is on small mice when he is eating. is yours a baby or sub adult???? maybe upping her food size would be an idea?? depending on her size that is.

She was hatched in July, so is 8 months old, and (at last shed) was 10 inch (measuring the shed).

The pinkies I am feeding her now are pinkies, they were sold as pinkies but are slightly larger than I expected (and have a slight whitish downy covering), but she takes them quite happily.

Last edited by Jayed on Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lynne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they sound like small fuzzies. do you think she would maybe take a small small mouse??? or a large fuzzy. it sounds like you may need to up her food size a wee bit. or try her with two of the fuzzies you have and see how she gets on with them. feed two of them s few times then try a small mouse.
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynne wrote:
they sound like small fuzzies. do you think she would maybe take a small small mouse??? or a large fuzzy. it sounds like you may need to up her food size a wee bit. or try her with two of the fuzzies you have and see how she gets on with them. feed two of them s few times then try a small mouse.

I'll try her on something larger this weekend. Smile Its so hard, I don't want to make her sick and over feed her, but at the same time often when she has eaten she goes 'hunting' for more food, or noses around on her feeding plate..

Thanks for the advise!Smile
Lynne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try feeding two of what you are feeding her instead of one. see how she gets on with these. but i think she should be off pinkies and onto at least fuzzies by this time. have you any pictures????
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynne wrote:
try feeding two of what you are feeding her instead of one. see how she gets on with these. but i think she should be off pinkies and onto at least fuzzies by this time. have you any pictures????

I don't have any recent pictures, but I will take soon either tonight or tomorrow.
But I do have an older picture (taken November)

http://pics.livejournal.com/jayed/pic/0006zpt1
Lynne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aw she is lovely. put her onto two of what she is getting and in a few weeks we will up her again. it looks and sounds like she is still hungry.
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like normal happy hognose to me - they love to dig so as long as the substrate is nice and deep, it has water and is warm it'll be as happy as a pig in muck Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Snakes - General All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: