Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Panther Viv
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harrison
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Panther Viv Reply with quote

Hello...

Another panther viv thread... *sorry

I'm currently adjusting the viv i bought to make a home for a panther cham, and need a couple of questions answered if possible...

1. What are people's thoughts on painting the inside of the viv white?

2. Is a mesh shield over the UVA light necessary?

3. Ficus, Hibiscus or Umbrella plant? The viv is quite big, would a mixture be suggested...?

I have cut away a portion of the top of the viv for ventilation, and plan to have the bottom 25% meshed... My basking bulb will sit on top of the mesh at the top, and my UVA light (10.0%) mounted on the inside at the back.

I'll keep this updated as i go along, can't seem to be able to upload pictures at the moment...

Thanks! Very Happy
Stuart Marquis
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

1 Why do you want to paint it white? I'd leave it if I were you. Painting it white may stress the cham out because it may feel over-exposed and vulnerable.

2 Have the UV outside the viv (sitting on the mesh top) and then there will be no need for a guard around it. I don't have any heating or lighting inside my cham vivs and I've not seen any other keepers with heating and lighting inside the viv either.

3 Yes I'd opt for a variety of different plants as they'll give a variety of climbing opportunities that will provide good exercise for the chams feet.

I have found exo terra vivs to work great for panthers. Plenty of ventilation from the mesh top but the glass sides also allow you to build up a bit of humidity just after misting. You can position the heating and lighting on top of the mesh top outside of the viv to keep it out of harms way

cheers

Stuart.
kroakykaren
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harrison i give my vivs 2 or 3 coats of white masonry paint inside, this also helps to preserve the wood. I remove most of the roof and replace with mesh i then sit the UV10% ontop of the mesh along with the basking light.
I use all live plants i.e ficus, umbrella and pothos plants along with bendy vines and natural vines.
Hope this helps a bit Very Happy
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, bit of a clash there....

Still not sure.

To paint, or not to paint....

I have decided to mount the UV bulb inside the viv, as i have cut the top out (replaced with mesh), and it just won't fit on the top along with the basking bulb...

It's right up in the back corner, so it's out of the way...

Decided that both plants would be best, and also got some different thickness of rope and some bamboo to put in there...

But the paint is still the question...

i just don't know... It would look better without it, but would that affect the happyness of my cham?

Taa
kroakykaren
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find, the paint reflects the light Panthers like it bright and sunny, but its up to you Harrison there are no set rules, some do some dont Laughing
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having a lot of trouble uploading pics...

any suggestions?
harrison
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope these work...! Smile

Bottom 25% meshed

Picture deleted by MJ please keep pictures to a maximum of 800x500
harrison
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and here's a couple of quick shots of himself... just taken with a camera phone, as i don't want to stress him too much. He's only just moved in!

sorry for the big pictures...

Smile

He's the best...

Pictures deleted by MJ please keep pictures to a maximum of 800x500
tigerbaby2k
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking very nice Harrison! Loving the pictures. Im going to be getting Panthers the end of the year. Im undecided whether to convert by old 3x2x2 wooden viv with front sliding glass. I was thinking of turning it on its side so its 3ft high and replacing the glass front with a mesh door and the top with mesh like yours. What mesh have you used and where did you get it from Harrison?
People keep sayin the exoterra glass (with mesh roof) are fine for panthers but im not sure-humidity too much? Resp problems? hmmm...

How is the Panther doign anyway?!

Counting down the weeks til I get my Cham! My beardie is 10 1/2 years old Smile

1.0 Bearded Dragon
1.0 Lhasa apso
1.1 Lionheads
0.1 Syrian Hamster
frodo_walley
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuart Marquis wrote:
Hi
I have found exo terra vivs to work great for panthers. Plenty of ventilation from the mesh top but the glass sides also allow you to build up a bit of humidity just after misting. You can position the heating and lighting on top of the mesh top outside of the viv to keep it out of harms way

cheers

Stuart.

sorry to go off topic, but would the exo terra vivs be ok for an adult or just a juvenile? im looking in to getting a male panther later on in the year, September or October time and have a spare exo terra which i hadn't really considered. thanks, Joel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: