Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

could i feed my rats anything else
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johonny
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: could i feed my rats anything else Reply with quote

im thinking of breeding even more rats but could i feed them anything else than rat food to expensive if i want to build up the colony
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
peaches
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What food are you using at the moment?

The main diet for mine includes rabbit mix, chicken pellets, flaked maize, dog biscuit, dog meal, bran.

Then they also get lots of kitchen scraps, greens, bread, cereal, chicken bones - whatever....rats are scavengeours (sp) by nature and will eat practically anything.
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dog food (dry stuff Laughing )

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
Young_Gun
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dog mixer is good, nice and cheap and minimal (if any) waste.
rotor
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys cannot comment on rats but a friend of mine has been keeping his multi's on a product from Lidl.... it's called Tron and is £1.39 for 4kgs. He has used it with great success so far for the past year. My own multi's have been on it for the past 2 months and seem to love it.

Try it on your rats and see how they like it??

Ball Pythons
Tokay Geckos
Snowy
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually getting in bulk (if you use a lot) is more economical. Whe I was young we used to have the equivalent of high rises for bunnys. It was four hutches high and 8 long. It was costing a bit to feed them until mum got the idea to ask how much for a bulk sack and it worked out at nearly half the cost of what we were paying at the time.

When I had rats I used to bulk out the rat food with dried and fresh fruits and veg.

I am not a great fan of feeding an animal food that is not formulated specifically for it. With rats though it is not as important as for say guine pigs, but it is just the way I am.
Gazza85
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use Gusto from Tesco's but after hearing of Tron from Lidles at the equivalent of 37p a Kilo I had to try and the mice and multi's have taken very well to it, I've mixed it in with the last of the Gusto to wean them onto it fully.

Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The EggMan wrote:
Dr John Gold (dog food)

you know it makes sense Cool Very Happy

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
quasimodo
Forum Granny

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the Royal breeders in the States use Sow Rolls - food for breeding sows - for their rat colonies. Bought a 20kg bag a couple of days ago for under £7. Ingredients include wheat, peas, soya, molasses, minerals etc. The rats, mice and multis seem to all like the stuff, but I will continue to give some Sainsburys value cornflakes and other bits from the kitchen.
Gazza85
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told that sow rolls can cause infertility on mice and rats due to the amount of copper contents. Its not an immediate affect but happens over time. I think its more of an issue with rats than mice.

Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Feeder Forum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: