Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

kicking self - help with young tree frog again
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Amphibians
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crunchie
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: kicking self - help with young tree frog again Reply with quote

Short version of story - tiny Hyla arborea jumped from her tank into a bucket of quite warm water. She is hopping around but her fingers and toes (?) look to be slightly curled up. I'm not really sure what to do with her other than keep the viv well misted. She is breathing a little heavier than usual as well and I'm unsure if there is damage to the feet and hands or if she's just keeping them that way due to them being sore. The hands (well I don't know what else to call them) have opened up a bit while I've been away at the football but I'm still awfully worried about the poor mite. Is there anything I can do or should I just continue to spray the viv more than usual. She is still able to climb the sides of the tank but I'm not sure if any damage would leave her too handicapped to survive.

I can't believe she jumped all the way from the tank smack bang into that bucket of water, she wasn't moving when I first took her out but she recovered a bit and is now hopping and climbing about but as I say her feet and hands just aren't right. Sad

I really don't think keeping amphibians is for me, what a stupid thing to let happen. Sad
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just leave it be for a few days spray as normal and see how it does Wink if it's moving around fine after a few hours it will sort itself out in a few days Smile

Dont let it put you off amphibians worse things happen just be a little more attentive as to where things are when working with them Cool

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
Crunchie
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Her fingers and toes are uncurling a bit though she still has difficulty climbing. However she was hopping around snapping up crickets earlier tonight so hopefully she'll recover and there won't be too much lasting damage.

I still can't believe she managed to jump straight into the bucket. It was no where near her tank either. I suppose I should thank myself lucky as I normally use water straight from a boiled kettle to dip their tank furniture in. Today i just used water from the hot tap and it had cooled a bit before Sweet-pea jumped in the poor soul.
Crunchie
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well my poor wee girl seems to be full recovered now (well she seemed to be fully recovered after a few days truth be told). I'm sort of hoping that everything that could go wrong has done and they'll all be OK now. Shocked
ChrisM
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Paul said- dont let it put you off. Accidents happen. Myself, and loads of other darts have had frogs jump out!

I've chased thumbnail darts around a friends house before!
KJ Exotics
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisM wrote:
As Paul said- dont let it put you off. Accidents happen. Myself, and loads of other darts have had frogs jump out!

I've chased thumbnail darts around a friends house before!

Yer dont let it put you off i lost one before, a little one i raised from a tad never to be seen again, also lost one but it fell in a bucket of water, and had to get it out quick and nearly drowned, but it is fine now Very Happy
Nuneaton warwickshire
Crunchie
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you can never speak too soon. The smallest of the three baby frogs I had deteriorated to such an extent I had to separate her last night. When I got back from work today I found she'd died.

She never really grew any in the two months I've had them. The other two have grown a fair bit and will hopefully be able to meet Padge (my adult male I found in the salad bag) before the year's out. Feel a bit rotten but I always did worry about that particular wee one. Is it common for even them to die even after turning into froglets? My baby frogs were tiny when I got them.
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it does happen Wink Tree frogs lay a huge amount of eggs (you should see some leaf frog clutches Shocked ) some will never make it past egg stage some not past tadpole and some just wont make it through to adult stage.. sorry you had to experiance it but its a part of keeping amphibians.. good suplimentation and a varied diet help reduce this though Wink

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
Phil1988
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never knew you were the tesco salad frog person Laughing
Crunchie
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil1988 wrote:
I never knew you were the tesco salad frog person Laughing

That's me indeed though I think there was a different story of a guy who found a toad in his salad. My frog story never made it to the press (only on here and livefoods). Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Amphibians All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: