Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone keep mantis?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Invertebrates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil1988
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Anyone keep mantis? Reply with quote

I don't know if this goes here but I was wondering if anyone keeps praying mantis, etc. I might look into them if anyone has any knowledge or tips on them it would be handy. Thanks
mcfluffin
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're great to keep. I would highly recommend them. Care usually involves a few insects to feed on, light mistings a few times a week, and an enclosure 3 times their length in height and width. Some can live in large jars, other are good in bigger sweet jars. Ventilated lids such as a mesh with an elastic band. I warn you though, they're really addictive. Got two about three-four months back, and I now have 9!

Bugnation.co.uk has a wealth of info, but there's also loads of caresheets if you google. Good beginner species are chinese mantids and african Sphodromantis species. Fascinating!
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, well I have a spare 30x30x30cm exo terra, what type could go in there?
Phil1988
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And also do you know anywhere I could get some?
mcfluffin
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could keep the large species such H.membranacea I'd have thought. I'd check this with someone who keeps them first, or read a care sheet about them. There are also a few smaller mantids that might be kept communally, although generally they are cannibalistic!
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep mantis, I would recomend African mantids they are easy to keep, hardy and grow to a decent size, they can be kept at room temperature and need spraying every couple of days when you feed them, you want to look for one thats round about L4 nymph level because then they wont be too small but they wont be that big either because they only live for about a year its best to get a baby.

There is alot of chinese mantis for sale but personally I cant seem to keep them alive even though im doing things right, a few other people I know have had trouble as well with them so I wouldnt recomend them.

When you get them they will most probably be in plastic cups with mesh lids held on by a elastic band being small, these IMO are the best things to keep them in, I always keep them in these cups for a few months until they are too big, as long as they have somewhere to hang upside down they will be happy, they seem to spend about 90% of their time hung in one place on the mesh.

They need good ventilation to survive so its important to keep them in a tank with mesh, they aslo eat like little machines even though they are tiny when you get them.

I thinks thats all for now Laughing at the moment I keep Malaysian orchid mantis and an Indian violin mantis.

Look on ebay for African mantis thats where I got mine, but I wouldnt get chinese mantis personally.
Phil1988
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks a lot you two Very Happy
mcfluffin
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice there. Not long until you're hooked! They're well worth it though, and you won;t find it breaking the bank too much Shocked
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just incase you havent got one yet!
take a look at how stunning they are to help you make up your mind Wink

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
SiUK
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they look liek something off of transformers I love matids they are so amazing just to see them eat is cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Invertebrates All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: