Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how do you heat your corn snakes vivarium?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Corn, Kings, Rat & Milk snakes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynne

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Young_Gun wrote:
Lynne wrote:
hey you were quick!!!!

Wish women would stop sayin that Crying or Very sad

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: how do you heat your corn snakes vivarium? Reply with quote

At the risk of sounding old fashioned, I use bulbs!!! I use a 60W bulb, connected to a dimming thermostat. Underground heat comes from the viv below, as mine are stacked.
I have used this method for all of my North American species, and have NEVER had any problems in the past 20 years of keeping these animals. The bulbs are protected by a guard to prevent the snake from coming into contact with it.

The bulb is on for 12 - 14 hours per day (except when they are hibernating of course!!). If you look at their natural environment, they will not be subjected to temps of 32C 24 hours a day!!

Before people start jumping up and down, I do use slightly different methods for tropical species, and accept that advances in herpetoculture mean that light bulbs are somewhat out of vogue now. However, they work extremely well for me, and I have bred Corns for years and years. An alternative would be a ceramic heating plate, screwed into the roof of the viv, with a light tube for lighting (UV is not really necessary for Corns).

I would also question the temperature. 32C seems extremely high for Corns, given that the accepted temperature needed is in the region of 28C.
Lynne

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snakes need belly heat to digest though. and its ok saying cover bulbs with guards, but dont the guards heat up too. i prefer the heat mat on floor. i have always used them this way, but thats just me, other people will prefer bulbs etc. you just have to find the way that suits you cest,

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or even BEST!!! sorry tried to edit but couldnt!!! Laughing
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heat mats r the way to go, i use tubs so mine are outside. the mate made a class thing for his boscs, could work for anything tho. he pinched perspex out of work, he made a basking platform out of it by sticking 2 pieces together with rivets leaving just enough gap for a heatmat to slide between them. ill admit it looks better than it sounds! but there u go.......
Lynne

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trunx wrote:
heat mats r the way to go, i use tubs so mine are outside. the mate made a class thing for his boscs, could work for anything tho. he pinched perspex out of work, he made a basking platform out of it by sticking 2 pieces together with rivets leaving just enough gap for a heatmat to slide between them. ill admit it looks better than it sounds! but there u go.......

thats a good idea. i may copy that if he hasnt patented it. Laughing great idea.
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use alot of heat mats but do prefer bulbs/ceramics - why because it seems much more natural as the sun is in the sky.

Throughout the day it warms the ground, that's where the belly heat is, so placing rock/stone etc in the enclosure can help trap the warmth.

So many ways Laughing
trunx
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynne wrote:
trunx wrote:

thats a good idea. i may copy that if he hasnt patented it. Laughing great idea.

next time im up his way ill get a few pictures of it, looks better than i described. dont think he's patened it!
loxocemus
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Young_Gun wrote:
Mats can malfunction, snakes can decide not to thermoregulate, stick your hand on a heatmat non stop for days and see what happens.

how can a snake decide not to thermoregulate?? if i stuck my hand on my boas pad for days i know what would happen id have a hand thats exactly 94of /- 0.5of i dont think u know what ur on about.
Lynne

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, i had a near accident last night. my royals are in tubs, heat mats on outside, all statted. when i went in to check everyone one of the young ones was going mad. when i checked his mat it was roasting. even for me to touch. the actual stat had somehow turned right up. i took him out and re-adjusted the stat, and temp returned to normal. so if anything, i would say when you are checking temps, also check your stat settings too.
snake is fine by the way. but from now on i will be chec king temps etc more than the 3 times a day i do now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Corn, Kings, Rat & Milk snakes All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: