Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Classfieds Site - comments please
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Reptile Classifieds Scammer Warnings (do not post adverts!)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moe B
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:18 am    Post subject: updates Reply with quote

The updates sound good to me, i think you all do a great job running these classifieds & i for one really appreciate the work you put into it
thank you
Moe B
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jas - should be just as easy to use, although the main difference will be you need to register once first, then it saves your details so you don't need to keep re-entering.

03ratty - We have a location box as a mandatory field, it will display the location area ie Bristol and when you click on it it will show a much closer map location based on the advertisers first half of their post code (close enough for deciding if the journey isn't too far but far enough to protect the advertiser from displaying their address Wink ) We also have the key word search too. I'll also ask if it's possible to have it display adverts for certain locations...may be a bit difficult that one.

Slate58 - Feedback would be nice but the herp world seems to be quite a jealous one, so I think that will lead to lots of problems but again we are looking at ways to try and include it.

Moe B - thanks for the comments, it's always nice to know that the time & money spent on a non profit website is appreciated.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you could steal some good features from ebay..

Feedback scores for registered users would be good.. obviously there will be people who try to get around it - but atleast sellers who DO have a high feedback rating would be guaranteed reliable. I agree that would be a good feature if done right, unfortunately it may make the site way too expensive to get programmed, it's already costing way more than I planned Sad , I will ask the question and see what the programmer say's is possible

Searching by location / category / price - again a nice extra feature but after discussions with various people we decided that as there aren't 10's of 1000's of adverts for the same thing all we would need is a catergory search and a keyword search. The location will be clearly displayed and will link direct to a map showing the users location

The option to open adds in a new page would be nice, at the moment every now and then someone posts their' ENTIRE stocklist which takes up a whole page.. - yep, that should be possible, we have added the feature of being able to PRINT any advert if you wanted to keep one for reference, also a Send to a Friend button to pass the advert on

Being able to highlight or 'feature' your add for a small donation to the site would work well too. If it was a small amount I'm sure lots of people would use it. - That's something we are looking at but again it could work out too expensive to programme

Personally I would also encourage the use of VERIFIED paypal accounts to discourage scammers - Unfortunately after looking at other classifieds sites the minute you need to register with anything more than an email address the classifieds dry up and the site basically dies. We will however be having a number of moderators who will be able to delete scammers and dubious adverts

And finally, if captivebred could be a "recognised user" of one particular type of courier, I'm sure that would promote more animal welfare and safety during long distance exchanges where no one is really sure what company to use. - could you explain that a bit more, don't really understand Embarassed

thanks, for your input

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Eggman wrote:

Courier bit:

My point was, loads of people surf classifieds every day looking for one specific reptile.. and when it turns up in scotland its really annoying not knowing what courier is reliable.. how much its going to cost.. or whether or not your new purchase is going to turn up alive or not...
And if you're anything like me - you dont really want to risk it.
If captivebred advertised a courier on the classifieds, in return for maybe some discounted rates and a live on arrival guarantee i think it would be a big success.
Or something along those lines?

There really is only ONE legal overnight courier and they are not accepting new accounts, so it's highly unlikely that they will offer discounts etc
There have been a few private individuals who have set up same day courier of live stock but I'm not sure which are still running or if they are even able to deliver from Scotland to Cornwall etc

Any that are still running will be able to sponsor the classifieds and have a nice big advert on each page Wink

Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing go for it Wink

Xx_JoJo_xX
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Wow thats alot of Spam!
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xx_JoJo_xX wrote:
Shocked Wow thats alot of Spam!

certainly was, all gone now though Cool

slate58
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any news on when the new classifieds wil be up and running Scott?
0.0.1 Testudo Hermanni Hermanni
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet, we have the design and layout sorted, also most of the key functions. There's just a few more decisions about what other services/pages to provide.

We want to try and add other content/info that is useful and interesting, feel free to suggest anything Wink

Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks a vast improvement to me Scott. Cool I just thought I would mention, I had a PM from a member asking if there could be a section for invertebrates on the classifieds. Might be an idea worth considering?
Visit our website - Gwelwch ein Gwefan
www.btcvcymru.org
Llinell Gymorth / Helpline: 08702 40 48 41
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Reptile Classifieds Scammer Warnings (do not post adverts!) All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: