Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starvin Marvin!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Bearded, Rankins & Frilled Dragons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minno
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my rankins is a lazy sod aswell, 4 the past 3 days he aint ate and been in the same position, got him out 2day still wasnt interested in food but changed position lol,

tbh ur viv sounds fine! just probz settling in, maybe try putting the crix in the fridge 4 a lil bit 2 slow them down, see if that makes a difference?
Mujician
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As i told you on the other forum Rankin males are notoriously lazy! Both mine hide away all the time. They are perfectly healthy. Rankins tolerate quite high temps. Basking spot generally about 100f, no higher than 110f, with a sensible gradient, no lower than 75.
0.1 Royal Python (Python Regius)
1.1 Saharan Sand Boa (Eryx Muelleri)
3.2 Kenyan Sand Boas (Eryx Colubrinus)
hev
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whiteraven666 wrote:
I bought Dante last November and she would have been a couple of months old at least. So shes around a year and a half now. Shes never been keen on her veggies ever since I bought her. Shes also never been a active dragon. I can get her out though and shed either run around on my bedroom or in her hamster run. If its late at night shell find a pocket or climb up to my neck and snuggle down for a nap. Shes so special and I love her to bits. In fact im gunna get her now and sit with me while I type.

Dante says HI everyone Razz

She does prefer locusts over crickets but shes had bowl problems (sloppy poops) ever since I got her and ive wormed her and its not made a difference. I read in a book that some rankins can be born with swisted spines and oversized organs. Ill type ya out a quote from the book later (the book has info on frillies too if anyone knows of that book)
And the guy at Coldblooded where I bought her said that rankins dont nessesarily have the same appetites as beardies and tend to be fussier eaters.

I personally think your rankins is very lazy and may have been handfed by the breeder (maybe was a runt or something and needed extra care hence handfeeding and got used to it)

At this time of year too my rankins is lucky to eat every other day. Its a yearly thing. She went through this last year and I know of many beardies doing the same thing. Hardly eating a thing and all.

Does he look fat or skiney? If he looks like hes got some wieght on him, alert looking at times and not dehydrated then he should be ok. Alot of beardies are still in brumhation or semi brumation atm and tend to sleep alot more and hide and dont do much or even eat including hunting.

If your really worried or want more advice you could maybe contact a rankins dragon breeder thats helped me out sometimes called Barry Summerhayes and hes website is hognose.co.uk

Pm me anythime you want but just so you know im not a reptile expert and dont claim to know everything about rankins and beardies and im goin by what ive read from books and replies from people when ive been worried about my "bubby" Dante.

Kelly

Thanks so much Kelly. It sounds like Marvin is going to be the same as Dante. He is so funny, he will sit by the viv door, with his 'arm' propped up on the edge, like he is propping up the bar in a pub! Just watching the world go by!

Generally, he looks really healthy. he is not dehydrated, (will sit quite contentedly while he drinks from his spray or dropper), and can't get on my hand quick enough, when I open the door.

I have ordered some locusts (the shops near me didn't have any small enough), so i will see if he likes them better. Fingers crossed, he may even try and catch them himself!!
hev
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minno wrote:
my rankins is a lazy sod aswell, 4 the past 3 days he aint ate and been in the same position, got him out 2day still wasnt interested in food but changed position lol,

tbh ur viv sounds fine! just probz settling in, maybe try putting the crix in the fridge 4 a lil bit 2 slow them down, see if that makes a difference?

Love that idea!!! Definitely gonna try putting crickets in the fridge fro a few mins!! Give the little chap a fighting chance of catching them.

I'm going to get him some locusts, to see if he likes them better.

(When I got him, the breeder gave me some black crickets - the same as he had given him. When I went to get some more at the weekend, the only ones they had were brown ones. Now, as I am sure you already know, the brown ones are 3 times quicker than black ones!! Poor little Marvin doesn't stand a chance with them. So definitely going to try the fridge trick, until the locusts come! Thanks for that!
minno
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tbh hes probz more than quick enough to catch them, just doesnt quiet get the grasp of catching them, especially if hes used 2 tweezer fed
hev
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: WAHOOO!!! Reply with quote

OK, IT'S OFFICIAL - I AM THE HAPPIEST RANKIN OWNER IN THE WORLD!!

Marvin the Marvelous, caught not ONE - but TWO crickets this morning - on his own!! (I put them in the fridge, as suggested - thanks for that!!).

THEN.... he wandered over to his water bowl, had a lovely long drink (never seen him do that before - usually only drinks from spray or dropper!!)....

THEN.... went to his veggie bowl and ate 3 pieces of cress!!......

THEN.... went back to his water bowl for another drink!!!!!!!

AND....yesterday, he managed to stay awake from 7:30am to 4:30pm - and for him, that's a record!!!!
minno
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol congratulations
supose he was just settling in then lol
glad hes eating well now and hope you enjoy your rankins
whiteraven666
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAY

PARTY AT YOUR HOUSE THEN?????!!!! LOL

He was probably just a bit stressed and kinda like "whoa whats going on here" and didnt feel like eating much. Dante little cow wont touch veggies like my beardie does. Hes eati ng hes veggies really well.

Best of luck with ya rankins. By the sounds of it he was probably a little dehydrated with all that drinking he did so it sounds like hes on hes feet and ready to begin the rest of hes life with you Very Happy

tc Kelly
Treakle (leopard gecko)
Jake (Baby beardie)
Draven (corn snake)
Denzil (chequered garter snake)
Samson+Mickey (Crested geckos)
Cody (Velvet gecko)
hev
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whiteraven666 wrote:
YAY

PARTY AT YOUR HOUSE THEN?????!!!! LOL

He was probably just a bit stressed and kinda like "whoa whats going on here" and didnt feel like eating much. Dante little cow wont touch veggies like my beardie does. Hes eati ng hes veggies really well.

Best of luck with ya rankins. By the sounds of it he was probably a little dehydrated with all that drinking he did so it sounds like hes on hes feet and ready to begin the rest of hes life with you Very Happy

tc Kelly

I wondered if yesterday was going to be a one off fluke - but he caught 4 more crickets this morning!! The locusts have just arrived, so hopefully he will like them. Can't tell you how relieved I am. Thanks to you and Dante for all your advice. No doubt I will be on here again v soon, with another worry!!
jamesj
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad your getting somewhere. When i had my first rankins (male) over 2 years ago he was a right pain to get him eating. He would do just as your has been doing. Took me several months to get him eating regularly, i ended up using locusts as he seemed to like these best.

He is still pretty lazy most of the time, but atleast he eats now! Im going to put him with a female when shes up to size as I want to breed eventually. So this might make him a bit more active when hes got company.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Bearded, Rankins & Frilled Dragons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: