Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how do you heat your corn snakes vivarium?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Corn, Kings, Rat & Milk snakes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jase
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest i cant see that putting tile or slate on top will prevent liquids from getting to it, down the sides/edges i'm thinking.

Also, if the mat is on a stat, i can't see how a snake will get burned?!

Lynne

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes thats why i always use a stat. its to keep the widdle etc getting to the element really that you need something waterproof. i use thick plastic on top of the mat, taped along the sides to the floor. newspaper on top off that, and thick substrate.
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mats can malfunction, snakes can decide not to thermoregulate, stick your hand on a heatmat non stop for days and see what happens.
peaches
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Young Gun but what exactly are you trying to say? I'm lost tbh. Lynne has already said she uses a thermostat for her mats, she said that she makes sure the element is covered - what more are you asking?

Hi Ailurus, Very Happy your ambient room sounds really good tbh, warmer than my house anyway lol

18 may be at the lower end of the 'accpeted' range, but if yours are utalising the entire space and thermoregulating fine, moving around, eating and pooping. Then I think that's fine.

I would be more concerned if they were staying at the cool end, not moving and started to refuse meals.

You could add another heat spot, or could you move the mat (you are using a mat? I'm loosing my thought trail here lol) 5 inches or so, down the viv, so the lowest temp rises slightly.

I'm having to play around with temps this winter too, it's a pain I know, but at the moment the weathers incredably mild, something to keep our eyes on I think.
Young_Gun
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im trying to say a mat, statted or not, can burn a snake if it can come into direct contact with it.

Wasn't having a go at Lynne personally, just it can lead to burnt snakes.
Lynne

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Young_Gun wrote:
Im trying to say a mat, statted or not, can burn a snake if it can come into direct contact with it.

yes, and if i am crossing the road i could get hit by a bus. i take every precaution with my snakes, ask anyone who knows me. and tbh, you have been being funny wi me for ages. i would rather if someone has a problem with me then they just come out and say it.
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynne wrote:
Young_Gun wrote:

yes, and if i am crossing the road i could get hit by a bus. i take every precaution with my snakes, ask anyone who knows me. and tbh, you have been being funny wi me for ages. i would rather if someone has a problem with me then they just come out and say it.

I haven't been funny wi you for ages.

I use false floors that stop my snakes coming into contact with the mats, like I said I wasn't having a go at you personally, I have seen snakes burnt on a mat that was statted and it was one that had masking tape around the element aswell, it shorted and burnt the snakes stomach as it didn't move off the mat.
Lynne

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well my mats are fine, they are checked and changed regularly if need be, and the element covering is changed weekly. as is the thick plastic and newspaper etc. the water bowl is at oposite end of viv to the mat. to be honest i dont like anything electrical inside vivs, but what else is there to use. i dont like ceramics, bulbs or anything like that. also the newspaper is taped down too, so there is no chance of the snakes getting through to the actual mat. once again this is checked every two days. the only snakes in vivs are my corns, hoggy,ratsnake and boa, the royals are in tubs with the mats and stats outside the tubs.
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynne wrote:
well my mats are fine, they are checked and changed regularly if need be, and the element covering is changed weekly. as is the thick plastic and newspaper etc. the water bowl is at oposite end of viv to the mat. to be honest i dont like anything electrical inside vivs, but what else is there to use. i dont like ceramics, bulbs or anything like that. also the newspaper is taped down too, so there is no chance of the snakes getting through to the actual mat. once again this is checked every two days. the only snakes in vivs are my corns, hoggy,ratsnake and boa, the royals are in tubs with the mats and stats outside the tubs.

Lynne, I am really not having a go at YOU personally.
Lynne

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Young_Gun wrote:
Lynne wrote:

Lynne, I am really not having a go at YOU personally.

ok, air cleared. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Corn, Kings, Rat & Milk snakes All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: