Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hamm - the weekend review!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Upcoming Shows / Events & reviews of previous reptile expos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Hamm - the weekend review! Reply with quote

Well blimey that came and went pretty damn fast Shocked One minute I was just getting back from the March show and next thing you know it's September and time to meet all the old faces again!

As usual we (Nick, James & me) took the lazy option and flew over from Luton to Dortmund, about an hour flight and only a £60 return air fare...far cheaper than taking the car for a 840 mile round trip! We actually arrived at the airport early for a change and even had time for a breakfast...makes a nice change than having to run from the car all the way to the departure gate (anyone who knows James could imagine what an effort that would be Wink Laughing ). We arrived nice and fresh at the Mercure by 9.30, checked in to the hotel and then headed out for a little refreshment (beer and pizza Cool ). Basically we had a few hours to kill before the rest of the Brit Pack arrived after their 6 hour drive Laughing . We sat outside a cafe bar relaxing when someone called my name Shocked , not something I was expecting sitting in a German town Laughing , Anyway, was good to see you again Sean...next time I'll be more alert Embarassed Laughing Hope you picked up what you came for Wink

We headed back to the hotel and decided a little siesta was in order while we still waited for the others to arrive Cool . By about 5 o'clock most people had checked in and our room mate 'wolfman Steve' finally arrived and woke us up! We made our way down to the bar reception but managed to stumble into Pete and the other EuroRep guys (thanks to Pete for offering to sponsor our competition section) and also John Berry (author of Designer Morphs http://www.designermorphs.com/). Good to meet you John and look forward to you joining the forum Wink Laughing Also John I still reckon those cresteds are for you really and not your children Laughing

We finally made it down to the bar and it was jammed full! I don't think I've seen the Mercure quite so full of herp people...certainly not that early in the day. There was a great mix of nationalities too, quite a few Americans good to see Alex Barreiro (nice to meet you again Alex) from BoaRepublic (the website...not a country Wink Laughing ), Mike Willbanks, Bob Clarke, Mark Bell (although none of these guys stay up drinking too late..guys you must try harder!). Also finally met Miqe from terrarium morbidum..good to see you Miqe!) and the Jersey squad (hope the drive back wasn't too bad!)

A few beers later we headed off for a Chinese with the guys from 'up north' (Mark, Daz, Peanut, Paul & Chaz the flying yorkshire pudding!) & Darren from CPR. Had some lovely food and then most of us went back to the Mercure for another beer or two. Unfortunately Darren couldn't join us as he some important business to attend to. Slowly the bar started to clear out as most people wanted an early night ready for the show and it was nice that as per tradition Nick, James, God* and me were the last guys standing and managed to get a few more rounds and God* actually made a good argument for the benefits of species extinction (although I don't think he actually has much control over that) We finally went up to bed around 4am( Question no idea exactly...couldn't remember if I had reset my watch to German time or not Embarassed ). We had also decided by then NOT to actually get up early and go to the show before it opened (I didn't have a table this time...so no need to make the effort Cool ). We finally arrived at the show around mid day, no ques outside but extremely manic and busy inside with all the usual pushing and shoving!

I had a reasonable look round but it's almost impossible once the public are in. I don't actually remember seeing anything that blew me away Sad
One thing that looked good was Zoo Med have brought out their version of the Exo Terra glass viv and on first looks it appears quite a bit better than the exo terra (one large door as opposed to two smaller doors on the exo terra). Unfortunately they only have a range of 4 sizes at the moment but will make more if the demand is there. As usual I didn't actually buy any reptiles from the show, instead I bought 4 new books (check out the book review section in a week or so). Bumped into Steve C while at Paul Harris's table and Paul...re-send that email...I promise not to delete it this time Embarassed

Nothing else too event-full at the show, other than meeting a 'Nick Lumb viv' collector who actually buys up ALL the second hand 'Nick Lumb Vivs' he can get his hands on. It's good to see someone who appreciated the work and effort that must of gone into those vivs!

By now most vendors had packed away and the hall was looking pretty empty, so we were more than happy to grab a lift back to the hotel. A quick shower and change of clothes and then back down to the bar Cool

What makes Hamm good is the fact that most people stay the second night, so it's a real relaxing evening and a great chance to chat to everyone again and find out how the day went for other breeders etc. It's also amusing to see how quickly the bar empties again when we all split up to go to various restaurants...a few of the guys went to the Mexican ( I did try to warn them of the extremely slow service but they still went Laughing I heard they waited for an hour and a half Embarassed Laughing ) We headed off to the Hacienda (sp?) steak restaurant, they even managed to serve our food quickly despite 18 of us walking thru the door at the same time Laughing (Mike, you missed out of some great Ostrich steaks Cool !)

After food we headed back to the hotel bar, probably near mid night by then and unsurprisingly the bar was a little quieter but we still managed to keep it going and even got to hear Pete's 'Danni Minogue video shoot story again...this time with accompanying video clips Laughing ) The four of us were the last 4 standing at gone 3o'clock again.

Our flight home wasn't until 6.45 on the Sunday so again we didn't have to get up early like the rest of them and we finally strolled down to breakfast at around 10am Cool . Met Alex & his lovely lady again for a nice relaxing chat over breakfast, hope you guys make it back over in December. We then packed our bags and crashed out in the hotel reception for an hour or so before heading off out for more food and a beer (again trying to kill time until our flight home).

Finally we caught a taxi back to the airport (somehow we ended up with the same taxi driver as last December, he thought he was driving for Maclaren! and worrying had a different car to last time...so we came to the conclusion he wrote the previous one off Shocked Laughing ) We eventually caught back home to my house at 10 o'clock and luckily my lovely girlfriend had a couple of pizzas waiting for us Cool

Sorry, not much in the way of a reptile review but that was our September Hamm for this year Laughing Sorry if I missed anyone out and Roll on December Cool (hotel room already booked Wink )

God* - We are pretty sure it wasn't the real God but he did refer to himself as God a few times so we thought we best not take any chances so obviously bowed down and behaved ourselves appropriately Embarassed

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Jordi J
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, long story but nice to hear you had a good Hamm weekend!

Do you have a stand in December ? (Houten or Hamm )
1.1.1 Cyclodomorphus gerrardi

Co-Studbookeeper ESF studbook Tribolonotus sp.

Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing thanks....that was the shortend version Wink Laughing

Hopefully will have a stand in December and am planning on going to Houten too.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Jordi J
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott W wrote:
Laughing thanks....that was the shortend version Wink Laughing

Hopefully will have a stand in December and am planning on going to Houten too.

Where is the long version Rolling Eyes I'm stuck at home for the next couple of weeks so I must have something to read/do. Wink

Maybe I'm going to Houten / Hamm this year, depends on if someone can give me a ride. If you have a stand in Houten or Hamm I will stop by and say hello and of course to see what you brought with you Wink
1.1.1 Cyclodomorphus gerrardi

Co-Studbookeeper ESF studbook Tribolonotus sp.

lol93
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you all had a good one! Did you take any photos this year?
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great "little" story mate, I don't think I've read that much in ages - I think I may have gone cross-eyed Laughing
Sounds like you had a fun, beer fuelled weekend. Cool
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you had a good laugh mate..be time for houten soon..lol
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice meeting you too, Scott..
I hope that we can meet for a beer or 14 again sometime.

http://www.captivebred.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14836

Hey, by the way!!
The bloke with the good shop, that sat next to me (names, names..).. Got a link to the site?

Assumption is the Mother of all f***ups.
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Miqe,
I think you were talking to Mark from http://www.thereptileroom.co.uk/

Morbid
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, looks like right person..
I have to discuss cameleons with him..

Assumption is the Mother of all f***ups.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Upcoming Shows / Events & reviews of previous reptile expos All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: