Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Phasmid care sheet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Care Sheets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paulk
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Phasmid care sheet Reply with quote

Well your thinking of geting a Phasmid and not sure how to look after them. Well this care sheet will give you a brief guide to looking after your Phasmid. And after you have researched your choosen insect just follow the simple guide below!

The first thing you will need is something to house your insect in, it needs to be at least twice the overal length of your insect,this will aid your insect when it molts as it hangs upside down and uses gravity to help pull it out of its old skin. Plastic sweet jars make good homes as well as faunariums available at your pet shops. I use the later of the two as they are stackable.

Next you will need some sort of substrate, paper towel, sand, eco earth will be fine. for sand and eco earth you will need about an inch covering in the bottom of your container. I use paper towel as its easier to chage and is easier to spot any eggs that have been laid.

Tank decor is as simple as a few twigs (if you get them from your garden you will need to make sure that no pesticides have been used and that they have been totaly cleaned) or as close to their natural environment as possible its just down to taste!

When it comes to heating most species will thrive at the normal room temp but you will need to check what your particular species require.

Feeding is rather simple, as nearly all Phasmids will happily accept Bramble for their main diet, with the exceptions of a few species, again I would advise you check your individial species for the correct diet requirements.

As you can see Phasmids are very easy to care for and breeding couldn't be easier as a lot of species actual just clone themselves!

There are many types available as well as many good web sites. I hope this just gives you a general idea of care, but again I would always advise you to research any animal you intend to keep.

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have on the subject as well as your own ideas. Very Happy

Wish I were an invert!
Paulk
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some web-sites you might find useful:

www.godofinsects.com

www.microcosmos.org.uk

www.bugnation.co.uk

Wish I were an invert!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Care Sheets All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: