Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

spasms?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Rhacodactylus Geckos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kat
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: spasms? Reply with quote

I have noticed that sometimes the back legs of one of my cresties seem to 'fail' i.e. he seems to lose control of them for a second or so. Then i was holding him the other day and his back legs suddenly started to kind jitter around for a few seconds.

This is quite concerning, as it may indicate some kind of nerve damage? I've noticed it since he arrived, but it was only very mild, and i only noticed it because something just seemed a bit odd about the way he moved sometimes, rather than him obviously having a problem. never having had reptiles before i didn't know really how they were supposed to move so didn't think there was a problem.
it has never been a constant thing or very noticable, never thought it was even a big thing until i held him and saw it the other day...

any thoughts as to what it may be? Seems fine and healthy in every other way and doesn't have a problem leaping around the cage.

thanks
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kat,

Something certainly doesn't sound quite right, although I must admit I've never heard or seen anything even vaguely similar.

Two things that cross my mind is some sort of nerve damage, or perhaps a calcium deficency.

Are they growing at the same rate? Is there any pattern to this 'spasm'?

What are you feeding and what supplements are you using?

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
DanLay
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kat.
It sounds like a Vitamin B shortage, but could also be an overdose of certain vitamins. Have you been using a vitamin supplement?
Kat
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, they are on the CGD. the one that seems to be having trouble is growing faster. They do get crickets which are dusted with repton. thank you for helping.
Kat
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haven't noticed any pattern to the spasms
Jackie
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time I have witnessed spasms in ciliatus was with one of my egg laying females. It was due to calcium deficiency. A course of calcium and vitamin injections (3 in total) from the vet and within a fortnight she was back to normal. The spasms stopped after the first injection but it was week or so after before she was eating etc. normally. I'm not saying yours is the same problem but in my opinion a trip to the vets is the best option.

I have lost faith in CGD (and the others). I think they are great for supplementing babyfood or as a meal once a week, but I feel there isn't enough calcium in it for egg laying females for them to be fed on it exclusively. It's just my opinion, I'm sure many others will disagree with me....lol.

3:4 Eublepharis macularius
1:0 Gekko gecko
3:4:1 R. auriculatus
1:3 R. ciliatus
1:1 R. chahoua
1:1 R. leachianus henkeli
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jackie wrote:
The only time I have witnessed spasms in ciliatus was with one of my egg laying females. It was due to calcium deficiency. A course of calcium and vitamin injections (3 in total) from the vet and within a fortnight she was back to normal. The spasms stopped after the first injection but it was week or so after before she was eating etc. normally. I'm not saying yours is the same problem but in my opinion a trip to the vets is the best option.

I have lost faith in CGD (and the others). I think they are great for supplementing babyfood or as a meal once a week, but I feel there isn't enough calcium in it for egg laying females for them to be fed on it exclusively. It's just my opinion, I'm sure many others will disagree with me....lol.

lol....Allen Repashy for one.

I'm still more than happy with the results since switching to CGD, 100% hatch rates since switching, and no dead in shells. I do still use crickets dusted with nutrabol at least twice a week though.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Kat
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i am giving him baby food with extra supplement in by dabbing it on the end of his nose to try and see if getting more calcium into him helps. I'll ask my dad (vet) about these injections also. Any more comments?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Rhacodactylus Geckos All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: