Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tidge3000
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: help Reply with quote

im only 15 and obviously abit short on cash atm i have beardies but i dont really like the set-up and i cant seem to get the money i want to like totally re-vamp it all and my parent said they wont buy it because they already said they would buy the food for me. so i was wondering if anyone new of any cheap methods of getting objects. and could you/i get rocks and logs from outside and use them if they are cleaned and disinfected?
lol93
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use wood from outside, as long as it's on the ground and not taken from the tree. You can either put the branches in the oven (if they'll fit)! or dry it then give it a good clean with dilute bleach.

The branches we have in our snake vivs were all collected from the local park, sanded to remove bark/rough bits, then bleach cleaned. Pine and cedar I think give off toxic fumes so should'nt be used with reps.

Stones and rocks can also be collected from outside and cleaned for use in your vivs. Wink
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Tidge, as Louise say's you can use branches and rocks etc from outside.

You don't need to worry too much about sterilising them, just a hose down and a good BANG on the ground to shake anything off. Just check for woodworm if it's an old branch.

Just be most carefull of sharp edges or 'trap' points on any objects you place in the viv.

I tend to cut up branches to the right size, bang them on the ground, knock off any sharp points and then put them in the viv, especially for any of my desert type set ups, nothing much native to the UK can live in a viv geared up towards Oz desert lizards Wink

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: