Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help setting up a planted viv (for crested geckos)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cleef
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Help setting up a planted viv (for crested geckos) Reply with quote

Hello all

I have a few questions regarding a well planted naturalistic vivarium for crested geckos.

Initially I set my crested viv up using some real and some fake plants in a 45x45x60 exo terra, inc. the foam background. After about a month most of the plants within the enclosure became unhealthy, I think this is due to the very weak UV light I am using (exo terra sun glow 15W Confused)

Anyway, I am going to revamp my vivarium to create a more successfull fully naturalistic enclosure (hopefully :p). I have done research regarding which plants are best to use etc but I am still unsure about a few things.

I am going to remove the foam background and replace it with either coco panel or natural cork panel, which would be the better option? (i want to create a lush backdrop using creeping plants and also create crevices or pin/glue peat pots on the panel so I can plant stuff higher up).

The substrate I am using at the moment in a mixture of t-rex jungle bed and some cypress mulch, would this be alright to plant straight into?

Lighting. I will need a fairly powerful UV light right? I have a normal ceramic clamp lamp at the moment that I could use with the compact energy saving UV lamps (screw in, ballast incorporated)

Plants. I already have some creeping fig and pothos that I can use, are there any other good species which will do well in the vivarium, bearing in mind it is fairly cool as its for cresteds, usually ~75F.

I think thats about it Confused , hopefully some of you guys whith more experience with planted vivs can help answer my questions,

cheers
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a good CF light will be fine for plant growth just make sure its not a normal house hold bulb as this will increase the temps and kill the plants.

possible plant list:

Ficus pumilia
Dischidia sp
Bromeliads (Neoregelia, Guzmania, possibly vriesea)
Pothos
jewel orchid ( ludisia they do well in low light levels in well draining substrate, have real nice foliage and also can be grown on cork with a little long fibred sphagnum moss)

I'm not sure of the best substrate for crested geckos is but heres a mix i use in my dart tanks. It holds moisture real well but also drains really well.

1 part peat moss
1 part cocco fiber (the ground stuff sold as eco earth is good but i use canna cocco and i use alot of this for my plants)
1 part fine orchid bark
0.5 part milled long fibred sphagnum moss ( this can be purchased in compressed blocks just cut it up before adding water.)

this works for me Smile I also use this for my planting mix.

for the background.. cocos panels rock, I use expanding foam covers in peat, cocco and VA concrete binder mix.

I have a thread some where in this section that goes into more detail about this.

Hope this helps let me know if you need plants and i will sort you out with a nice selection except for guzmania which you can get at a tesco or garden centre. Just make sure to wash the foliage and flush the axils really well as they do like thier ferts and pestacides, also remove all compost from the roots and give the a good rinse also, dont worry about damging the roots of guzmania as they really o nothing but hold the plant whre it is.

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
Cleef
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help mate Smile

Where do you get your peat moss and coco fibre from? I thought stuff like this would be easy to get but I can't find many sources Confused Probably looking in the wrong places.
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irish peat moss can be purchased at a nursery (50 litr cube or something like that).

Cooco fibre if you want a good amount for little money go to ebay and search canna cocco a 50 ltr sack is around 15 quid.

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
Cleef
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok nice one, I'll be able to make a trip to a few local places tomorrow, hopefully they will have some Smile.

I found your thread about your dartfrog vivs. I was planning on buying some large compressed coco panels and then cutting these to size and glueing them to back of the viv.

The expanding foam method looks good though, could also create crevices so I can plant directly into the background (which foam do you use, and which 'glue' do you mix with the coco fibre so it sticks to the foam?). I suppose it's more of a permanent option though, and I could still carve crevices into the coco panel to plant into.... hmmm

Suddenly I have a lot more to think about lol Laughing
Cleef
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right I got hold of some peat moss and coco fibre fairly easily from my local nursery Smile

I also dug out an old UV strip bulb + starter which fits the setup like a dream Surprised, probably will need to renew the bulb though.

Some more pothos and inch plant are on the way, along with the coco panels Smile

I'll let you know how I get on Neutral
Cleef
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the chain replies, but it saves making a new thread.

I am looking into lighting for my vivarium when it is all planted out.

I have already spoken to MJ regarding the matter but just want to see what others think...

I want a Fluorescent lamp for optimal plant growth, what would you recommend? Initially I was looking at reptile lamps, but it looks like lamps made for aquariums fit the bill better as far as plant growth is concerned.

I was looking at this and I think it would probably be ok, but any suggestions would be cool. I'll be making a reflector for the lamp too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: