Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mini viv for ocellated skinks
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary, you have not had your head bitten off at all. I totally agree with Scott, and suggest that you think a little before posting in future. This is not the first time that you have posted in this very abrupt and abrasive manner on the forum.

I agree that we should be able to disagree on the forum, but there is a way of doing so. Blurting out negative comments like so with all the sensitivity and articulation of a baboon is not the way to do things mate.

Please just think a bit more before you post. Perhaps reading it first and thinking "Now would I take offence to that myself" may help a little. Being able to admit when one is wrong is both character building, and maketh the man also. I suggest you try it

"Biting people`s heads off" as you say, is not something Scott is guilty of. Quite the opposite. It is a phrase however that would be far more applicable to the manner in which you post at times. Please , stop worrying about your ego, and just take this on board exactly how it is. Well meaning advice.

Regards, Peter
Visit our website - Gwelwch ein Gwefan
www.btcvcymru.org
Llinell Gymorth / Helpline: 08702 40 48 41
garysumpter
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Advice taken, I disagree and EGO is not applicable, I just have opinions that seem to offend, which I will not express anymore.

I am still very new to reptile keeping and strive to give my animals the best possible conditions (despite having VERY little money).

Sometimes the truth hurts I guess. I'll refrain from posting unless absolutely necessary Smile

Gary

http://www.sitewonders.co.uk
gary@sitewonders.co.uk
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary. I am afraid that your EGO is so very obviously apparent as incredibly important to you. Hence your inability to ever so far on this forum to admit when you are wrong.

I am glad that you claim to look after your animal`s properly, after all, who doesn`t?
Visit our website - Gwelwch ein Gwefan
www.btcvcymru.org
Llinell Gymorth / Helpline: 08702 40 48 41
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, my view is this.

Gary sensitivity is not your strong point in my opinion and I know for a fact that Em gives her herps the best care available.

The herps dont give a rats arse what the set up looks like as long as their requirements are met. Simple as, the rest is aesthetics and we are not all blessed with never ending pockets full of cash. Before anyone says well if you cant afford it dont get the herp, again I know for a fact that Em has housed unwanted herps at her own expense and does a damn good job with them.

As long as herps have their needs met what is the issue?

Have you even considered how you may have made this person feel by your remarks? Have you? Did you enjoy the feeling you gained by making such a post in such a rude manner?

Yes it's nice for everyone to be honest, but to be downright insensitive and rude is non-constructive. What has Em gained from your post? What have you achieved from your post?

As for having your head bitten off, I dont think so at all. Maybe you should look more inwardly to see why you invoke such responses?

Yes the forum is about honesty, fair play, but regard for fellow members feelings is also high on the agenda and there are constructive ways of voicing ones opinions and inarticulate ways of putting ones foot in it!

I have respect for Scott and agree with his post. Nuff said!

Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary,

The main point about this thread and your post was that it wasn't a 'what's your opinion of this' type thread, had it of been in that vain then your post wouldn't be at all out of place, I wouldn't of commented and of course your opinion is yours to give as you see fit.

It's just a case of judging when to give an opinion and when to hold back until an opinion is requested especially when that opinion is negative Wink

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
garysumpter
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,

I dont want to argue about this, however of course the post was meant to generate opinions.

'I needed this, here's what I did, here's some pics' is obviously saying 'what do you think of my efforts?'

Hence the fact the replies that follow are all opinions of the setup.

Anyway I have no EGO, I GREATLY appreciate and encourage criticism.

Take care all.

Gary

gary@sitewonders.co.uk
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding Ego: Just to be pedantic Laughing

Many Buddhist Monks spend all their lives in continuous meditation to attain a state of Mushin= no mind = no ego. it is their goal on the eightfold path towards enlightenment. So I assume you are an enlightened one? Laughing

Happy Nirvana Very Happy

garysumpter
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok Confused

gary@sitewonders.co.uk
callmechook
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary I wasn't offended and I don't think Scott was having a go, opinions differ, I did say that the photo's didnt actually do justice and that it looks a lot nicer in reality. As Scott pointed out people do have differing budgets and this was an attempt to provice the best possible for the animals, my own opionion is that it doesn't actually matter how it looks to us it's the environment that it provides for the animal that matters Very Happy . Being on a somewhat limited budget I wanted to give them the best that I could and that was an option. The main thing is that THEY like it which is really all that matters. Since being in there they are far more visable, basking openly and runnning around, coming to the front for a look out. They are growing well and are healthy. It wouldn't matter if it was a plastic dustbin they they liked living in so long as they do well in it. I do get a sense of satisfaction building my own vivs and never take any reaction as a bad one even if people don't particualary like it. My collection is simply for mine and my families pleasure not for public display. I think maybe Scott felt a need to comment purely because the comments were negative and not particularly tactful and the general trend of posts you make seem to be in that vein. I may be wrong, I know someone whose posts come across as very abrupt sometimes and yet couldn't be a kinder more friendly person in real life, maybe that the same in your case we simply don't know. I do read some of your posts and feel that they could be offputting to some especially newer keepers who could take your comments to heart. I luckily have enough confidence in my husbandry skills to be able to avoid that but it could be enough to cause serious concerns in someone else. That's simply my opinion Very Happy but I do know for myself that when I see things that I might have done differently I do try to comment in a positive friendly way so as not to stamp on someone elses feelings. I hope you don't take offense at anything I have said I simply felt a reply was needed to clarify for you why I had made the viv in the first place as it seems to offend you. PArt of the reason that I love these forums and the people on them it that you can find such support and creativity in them not only in custom built vivs that people then go on and customise but also in home built vivs too. Thats obviously not an area that interests you but again thats fine. I for one find some of the ideas on the forums to be increadibly clever and to see animals enjoying that creativity can only be a good thing. xxxxxxxx
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
callmechook
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I read the other posts after doing mine thanks guys for all the support I seem to have only echoed what you said. Gary no one wnats to see anyine else have to stay silent on the Forums hon just to maybe post in a slightly kinder way. I wasn't offended simply because I have the skin of a Rhino. I might go and mutter a bit but I don't take it to heart but other's could.

I hope all on here continue to help each other and enjoy their animals as a group so I'll wish ALL of you a very happy christmas and New Year xxxxxxxxxxxx
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: