Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

YET ANOTHER barneck topic!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Boas & Pythons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: YET ANOTHER barneck topic!! Reply with quote

Ok so after a slight problem with heating (ie it had none for god knows how long) and a kick start with feeding i finally have the little beggar up and running. She now takes rat pups every 3 days or so Cool
She is a feisty little sod and likes to pee all over anyone handling her but at her size it is far from a problem - she struggles to break the skin properly Laughing

OK, enough waffling..............

The future is bright, the future is a net like pattern.................

I'm NOT an expert, so if you don't want to know my opinion don't ask!!
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Stunning glad she has fed for you now.
goldenburm
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what happened with the heating?? any ideas on how long? just curious do u keep temp records or anything, or how often do u check the temps??

Glad to hear all ok now and what a stunning beastie!
1.0 pastel motley DEAD
2.0 sunglows 1.0 LIVING
1.1 pastel het snow 0.1 LIVING
2.2 albino boas DEAD
0.2 albino ara's DEAD
0.4 boa constrictors 0.2 LIVING
Dan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically the heat mat was plugged into an extension cable, at some point it was unplugged and we only noticed last week. The room itself is never cold so she will have been at minimum temps for a while, which will have stopped her eating (i think).
Time scale, week maybe ten days? Records wise, unless i am working on something specific i dont record temps. I set the vivs up and leave them alone once they are running - the animals tell me if something needs attention.
As it happens this little girl had never fed before so her lack of feeding was nothing special, and due to the room temp she never felt especially cold to the touch (i only get her out when she is out of her hide - away from the heat)

snakesalive
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:07 am    Post subject: k Reply with quote

looking good dan...

you get a chance to see the recent pics of mine?

k
Dan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i did karl. I didnt comment as i am waiting for mine to shed again, although i did note that i thought one of the ones you had pics up of had shed more times than the other (probably wrong there, just an assumption).

I think i'll weigh mine today, just to see what sort of gain i am getting now she is feeding. Maybe interesting to see how much of the prey item is converted into body mass in relation to the actual size of the prey item in relation to the original body mass. Could be an interesting little side project?
I'll record starting body weight (ie today), prey item weight (as a percentage of body mass aswell as actual weight) and then weigh the snake on the second day after each feed (Which is convenient as that is todayt also, preferably pre defecation). This with a record of shed dates should give me something interesting to look at.
If anyone else wants to have a bash at this feel free as comparing records every now and again may show some common trends and figures. Not to mention the fact that having more than one test subject in more than one place (ie different techniques) would add more value to the overall data results.

Rauf H
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it may struggle to break the skin now, but just wait another year or 2 down the line... Laughing

Stunning snake btw
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Boas & Pythons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: