Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yatch varnish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GJ
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Yatch varnish Reply with quote

Iv been building my Viv's for many years now but i have never use the stuff. Anybody used it and is it any good.

cheers
johne.ev
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi GJ.
Iv'e used it & found it works great. if using on osb board or ply apply at least 3 coats, allow 24 hrs between coats & at least 2 weeks to dry & fumes to disipate.
lol93
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used it on 2 of my cham vivs, and it works great. As John says, 3 or so coats works best, and leave it at least a couple of days for fumes to evaporate before putting animals in.
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

Following the instructions on the back of the tin it says to lightly sand down each coat after it dries. Do you think this would be necessary with it being applied to the inside of the vivarium and not a high traffic surface area.
johne.ev
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never did.
maz
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: recoating Reply with quote

I used to be a painter by trade and the reason you should sand between coats is to provide a better surface for the next coat to adhere to. It basically produces a more resistant finish.
Whilst this is essential on exterior woodwork etc I'm not sure how necessary it would be in this case;if you do decide to do it then only use very fine grade 'finishing' paper not the course stuff or you'll remove the last coat!
Try to imagine you are dusting the surface not sanding it. Hope this helps.
GJ
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As i expected the first coat soaked right in, it did not leave glossy Finnish so i applied a second coat 48hrs later. I'm happy with the out come and durable Finnish so I'm going to leave it at that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: