Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Easy DIY Filter for semi aquatic frogs and toads

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Amphibians
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mickded
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Easy DIY Filter for semi aquatic frogs and toads Reply with quote

I have designed a very easy to make filter from items you will have around the house, it will cost around £8 to make, this is the cost of a suitable pump to run the filter. If you have a glass or wooden viv, and a water container inside that has to be removed daily for cleaning, that is reasonably large, this could make your life very easy. Instead of syphoning and cleaning daily, you will only need to lift out the filter to rinse through, I clean mine weekly. It works very efficiently, and works in just an inch of water ! Anyone interested, I will e mail the simple plan to make this filter, free of charge. Regards.
mickded.
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds good, any photos?

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
mickded
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Easy DIY Filter for semi aquatic frogs and toads. Reply with quote

Hello Scott, thanks for your interest, I shall attempt a photo of the filter in action tomorrow, it really is very simple, but works really well (though I say so myself) I did many experiments with commercially available pumps with built in filters, but they all had draw backs of some kind or another. Either they made too much turbulence, or their filter media capacity was too small, or when you attempted to open the filter to clean, all the good work done by the filter was spoilt by all the mess going back into the water. Also commercial pumps are really made to work vertically although they claim to work horizontally. If you think about it when fitted horizontally, half the inlet holes would be covered by the bottom of the water container contacting the filter. the other benefit of my simple design is that it will run 24/7 in one inch of water with the actual filter out of the water for easy removal for cleaning.
I suppose it would take under an hour to make and fit, please e mail if you would like the parts list, and instructions to make one. There are diagrams also, but are a bit basic freehand.
Regards.
mickded.
mickded
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Easy DIY Filter Reply with quote

Pic of Easy DIY Filter in action[/img]
JStroud
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very interested, know a few frog keepers who may be also. Could you not post the instructions for making it on here?
mickded
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Easy DIY Filter Plan Reply with quote

Hello stroudster, thanks for your reply, sorry but site will not upload 449kb A4 sheet, file too large.
regards.
mickded.
JStroud
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh okay, well I'd be interested. Could you possibly email me the file? - stroudster@hotmail.com

Cheers
mickded
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Easy Filter, Plan to make Reply with quote

Stroudster, e mail will be with you shortly.
Please note, fly by wire elastic band not essential.
Regards.
mickded.
My e mail address will be on the bottom of the plan should you have any questions.
Kris13
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you email me one? Could be handy

Karizdamaster@aol.com
mickded
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Easy DIY Filter Plan. Reply with quote

Karizdamaster.Hello, and thanks for your interest, the plan should be with you now. please e mail me if you have any questions.
Regards.
mickded.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Amphibians All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: