Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crested Gecko artificial diets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Rhacodactylus Geckos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Crested Gecko artificial diets Reply with quote

I have just switched over to the diets and was wondering how many others were using it.

How many people are using the T-rex Crested Gecko Diet?

Do you use it exclusively?

What % hatch rates have you had from eggs?
Jackie
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use it but as a supplement rather than a diet ( roughly half babyfood/ half diet). I know you can use it exclusively but I like to see my Cresteds hunt...lol. I've used it for about two years now and have had a 100% hatch rate success.

Both my females are getting on a bit now so I've decided not to breed Cresteds anymore. They haven't been with the male for over a year and only now are they stopping to lay eggs - the first egg laid in February this year was from a mating at least six months earlier. That was the one and only fertile egg laid this year. Anyway I'm digressing..lol.

3:4 Eublepharis macularius
1:0 Gekko gecko
3:4:1 R. auriculatus
1:3 R. ciliatus
1:1 R. chahoua
1:1 R. leachianus henkeli
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean about hunting for crickets, the cresteds still love pouncing on crickets, the gargoyles are a bit more lazy though.

How old are your female cresteds then? Life expectancy can be close to 20 years, not sure when then start to naturally stop breeding but I'm sure I've read that past 12 - 14 years isn't uncommon, (although I agree, it's nice to rest the females occassionally).
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use it same way as Jackie..and throw crix in occasionally.
Jackie
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are second generation captive bred by Phillipe de Vosjoli. I got them as adults from Terry Thatcher four years ago and he'd had them for about the same time. So I'm guessing they are around 8-9 years old. If I put the male back in with them then I'm sure they would lay fertile eggs. Very Happy

3:4 Eublepharis macularius
1:0 Gekko gecko
3:4:1 R. auriculatus
1:3 R. ciliatus
1:1 R. chahoua
1:1 R. leachianus henkeli
zarozinia
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been using the day gecko diet mixed with baby food for months - someone involved with developing this diet asked me to try it out. They appear to find it palatable both mixed on its on and with baby food. I offer this 4 or 5 days weekly and crickets the other 2 or 3. I cant realy give a true estimate of breeding/hatching outcomes for this period as incubation rates altered for me during the summer, when I moved ( see another post re incubation) and I also tried offering them small hoppers instead of crickets - they werent impressed
Ive only just bought the crested gecko diet today to trial it, Ive tried the babies with it this afternoon and none were interested, so I mixed it with baby food and all were interested, now its in with my adults, mixed with babyfood, so I will see how interested they are.
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you noticed any differences yet Angi?

My gargoyles love it, and since feeding them with it they have really started to put weight on and thrive, when they just had crickets and baby food they kinda just ticked over slowly but now they are really growing well.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Rhacodactylus Geckos All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: