Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone been keeping weight info?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Ball / Royal Pythons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kronin
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Anyone been keeping weight info? Reply with quote

Hello all Smile

Do any of you keep weight records for your Royals? (when babies).

My CB06 is just under 3 months old and weighs 192g - was just wondering if that was average? Last time I weighed was 4 weeks ago after the last shed and he/she was 115g.

Just bought some digital scales you see Cool
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have weight records for quite a few although they aren't that up to date now, did weigh a few last night and they ranged from 149g up to 601g. These are 06 CF, arrived 5th May so are 4 months old. The majority of them are 400g plus. The ones below 200g's were in racking that is harder to work with, so they didn't get fed as much as the bigger ones in more accessable racking.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
kronin
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scott,

Are these the Royals from this thread? They've done well! Im guessing the 601g snake is ID#1? Are you still feeding a couple of times a week?

Is it just down to these Royals being wild caught monsters or do you think these sort of weights are the norm?

And while the questions still in my head (although kind of off topic) - at what point does a snake become a sub adult Confused
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep those are the ones. I'm not able to feed them all twice a week now (can't keep the rodent production up enough) but I do feed adult mice to them all now, some are on small rat weaners too.

I don't think there is anything special at all about the weights, any feeding royal could achieve the same growth. I think it's just good quality foods fed and a good feeding schedule. I have found that reptiles that get off to a good start tend to grow better and faster than those started off slow and then offered more food.

I am very aware of their weights and growth and when they start to actually look like they may be getting fat rather than actually growing I will cut their food down even further.

As for your great question "at what point does a snake become a sub adult?" me personally I would call a snake sub-adult when it approaches breeding size for the coming season, ie a corn snake would be a hatchling / youngster in year one but year two I would call it sub-adult as it could be hibernated and bred that coming season, of course this is all dependant on growth and feeding etc. it's a bit more tricky for royals as I have read about some males that breed in there first season (so going by my way of thinking they would hatch out as sub-adults Shocked Laughing )

Be interesting to hear how others would describe sub-adult snakes Question

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
kronin
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Scott.

I'm currently feeding on rat fuzzys and they seem to be the right size for him at the moment, managed to switch to rats without any problems so that was good. Were you feeding rat weaners twice a week?

As for the subadult question, seems I may be the cause of a great debate on that one so i'll keep my head down and pretend I never asked!

So when does a snake become an adult then? Very Happy Very Happy
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use either adult mice or rat hoppers, I switch between the two without problems.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Ball / Royal Pythons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: