Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bit worried

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Ball / Royal Pythons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike h
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Bit worried Reply with quote

Couple of questions.
A couple of times one of my females has been sort of rolled over/belly up when I have lifted her hide off her. Also she spends a lot of time half in half out of the hide(waiting to bite me usually) with her head high up on top of the hide. the heatmat is set to about 88/90.
Anything to worry about??
thanks
mike
goldenburm
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok where is the heatmat situatede is it in or outside the viv, is the hide on it? what is the temp directly on the heatmat! Sorry for the Q's mate but that will help !
1.0 pastel motley DEAD
2.0 sunglows 1.0 LIVING
1.1 pastel het snow 0.1 LIVING
2.2 albino boas DEAD
0.2 albino ara's DEAD
0.4 boa constrictors 0.2 LIVING
mike h
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks
tempt on heatmat outside of hide is 86. in hide it is about 90/92. Heat mat under box in rack. Others don't bother. Was worried because had not fed again for 3 weeks, but had a nice rat last night. (Her ears must have been burning)
I think she is very insecure? worried the world(ME) is gonna get her.
Any thoughts appreciated.
thanks
mike
premierpython
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,your temps are similar to mine I don't think that is the problem.She could be insecure,biting or striking is usually a sign of this.(I can't think of another reason apart from smelling like dinner Laughing )

You could try not to make any sudden movements near her or her enclosure,my pythons sometimes get spooked if a shadow falls over their heads.

As for the feeding just try lots of different methods of offering food items.My fussiest python will now only feed-

1 In complete darkness
2 Under cover of newspaper (substrate)
3 If the food item is a female mouse (not rat)

Miss any of the above out and I get a blank refusal,get them all right and she eats every time!

It took me 6 weeks to find out this through trial and error,as long as you provide plenty of fresh water and she keeps good body weigh a fast is no real cause for concern.

Good luck.
mike h
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks
Its nice to know its not just me who has to mess about. Last night after about an hour of re- warming the rat several times she finally struck and ate it. After reading the last reply it made me think, So today. I have had the exposed part of the box partly covered to give extra privacy. I offered her a rat tonight just using the light from my monitor. She struck in seconds.
Hopefully I have got it sussed.
thanks
mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Ball / Royal Pythons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: