Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Substrate. What do you all recommend?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Ball / Royal Pythons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melt0s
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Use Aspen, It Looks Naturel and the Contrast of Jumanji (Royals/Balls) on it looks really nice.
Dan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mwoxy wrote:

Hey Dan,

What brand is it, Ultrasorb, Audibose??

How Good is it at "$hi..stuff retention/moisture"???? aspen is better than newsprint in my opinion,as spot cleaning is a high a priority. Makes for much less work with a growing collection!!!

What about ingestion, ha it been an issue? I know the way snakes eat usually makes substrate ingestion a mute point (mouth naturally removes foreign objects... unless its an electric blanket wrapped around food of course!!!).....

I know some major(UK python) names use flax/bark mixtures. Just need that extra push to try it myself!!!! Do you think it would work for colubrids, they are a tad messier than Boids!!

Cheers

Mark

Mark, sorry, i have only just seen this Embarassed

The brands you mentioned there and the combination of it with bark makes me wonder if you think this is the hemp core often used?

The brand name for this is "biobed.

When it comes to crap/pee retention and spot cleaning i haven't found anything better (i've been through the usual suspects). As the pieces are so small it makes it close to perfect. That combined with the "carpet effect" that reduces it sliding around makes it my choice everytime, especially for rat snakes. It also holds humidity well and is dust free when dry.

Ingestion wise, i have seen very few turds with much in and it only tends to be the "woodier" stalks, of which there are relatively few.

If you want i can send you enough for a 4 footer down so you can try it for a bit to see if you like it before buying a big ass bale of the stuff. Just PM me with your adress and i'll send it monday morning.

The future is bright, the future is a net like pattern.................

I'm NOT an expert, so if you don't want to know my opinion don't ask!!
mike h
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Quote:
Mark, sorry, i have only just seen this

The brands you mentioned there and the combination of it with bark makes me wonder if you think this is the hemp core often used?

The brand name for this is "biobed.

Can you give some links/suppliers to this biobed, struggling to find it on Internet.

thanks
mike
Dan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't do any better than you i'm afraid, i just buy it from my local horse supplies shop. Trying looking in the yellow pages for your local one and asking them to get you some. Failling that get back to me and i'll see if i can arrange for some to make its way to you via other means.

The future is bright, the future is a net like pattern.................

I'm NOT an expert, so if you don't want to know my opinion don't ask!!
Mwoxy
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the response and the offer.

I went to my local horsey place. I looked at the hemp(Aubiose) and the flax(Equibed) bedding. I am currently trying the hemp, my choice was based on the larger particle size of the hemp.

I am quite pleased with it so far, good clumping/retention and I quite like the smell(definitely better than shtuuf). Will be good to see how the flax compares.

Cheers Dan.

Regards

Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Ball / Royal Pythons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: