Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My new baby horsefield

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Tortoises & Turtles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
torty
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: My new baby horsefield Reply with quote

Hiya

Im going to buy 2 horsefield tortoises but i would like to have a male and a female but the ones im going to buy are 2 yeahs old.....when are they old enough to mate?
I have so many questions to ask...i hope i am able to get some answers!
Right.....i am thinking of keeping them in a plastic reptile tank so what would i put on the floor of the tank? Ive heard that u have to have a uv light and a another sort of light (as u can tell i really haven't got a clue)
Ive tried looking at websites but they dont provide enough infomation for me! ohhh and one more question do u HAVE to hibernate them?

Thanks alot
Kristy
Jas
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont know much about tortoises, but i do know horsefields need plenty of room and dont think a plastic tank will be big enough, i think they burrow too.
Someone on here will fill in the rest. Arrow
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: My new baby horsefield Reply with quote

torty wrote:
Hiya

Im going to buy 2 horsefield tortoises but i would like to have a male and a female but the ones im going to buy are 2 yeahs old.....when are they old enough to mate?
Right.....i am thinking of keeping them in a plastic reptile tank so what would i put on the floor of the tank? Ive heard that u have to have a uv light and a another sort of light (as u can tell i really haven't got a clue)
Ive tried looking at websites but they dont provide enough infomation for me! ohhh and one more question do u HAVE to hibernate them?

Thanks alot
Kristy

As you said you don't really have a clue, I suggest you put off buying a tortoise until you do have a bit more of a clue,

Go here and buy a good book, once you have the basics under your belt, everyone here will be pleased to help you.
regards
Scott

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1873943067/infoline0f-21/026-4026582-0939634
blondesarah
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: My new baby horsefield Reply with quote

torty wrote:
Hiya

Thanks alot
Kristy

no they arnt old enought to mate they wont be old enought tell they are about 10. you wont know the sex of them. please please dont keep them in a plastic tank if they can see out they wont stop trying to get out. keep them in a tortoise table or a very and i mean a very large vivarium. Just remember tortoises dont need to be warm all the time, on end should have a spot light and uvb for heat and the other end should be cool. a small vivarium will be warm all the time and that is no good. tortoises need a lot of room. yes i would hibernate them it is natural for them. i have 6 tortoises one horsfeild. there are tortoisesyou can buy that do not hibernate

also if you keep them in a vivarium take the top of and the doors off for air circulation (this is why a tortoise table is better) http://russiantortoise.org/better) here is a good web site

let me know if you have an more questions. tortoises are hard to keep.
tortoises must be fed on weeds i have to go out picking weeds every night and i grow my own. they must have vitamins. they are really expensive to keep. but i love mine to bits
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Tortoises & Turtles All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: