Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Toad Toxin
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Amphibians
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuart
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes I remember the rat forum scenario very well... Laughing
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My own view on the feeder issue is that if the species was bred for a food purpose, then I don't have an issue with it, it could be baby giant pandas fed to alligators or red eyed tree frogs fed to bats for all I care. What I don't agree with is taking vast numbers of animals out the wild purely for a food source, that includes fish for human food.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Rickeezee
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cod, try catching a line caught cod nowadays, not much hope! Hardly any about.

The big fishing boats that use hoover type methods for catching fish kill everything in their path including the sea bed. In turn this affects the whole food chain and ruins sea life.

Farmed fish is the way to go if it's on a commercial scale. Even Captain Birds Eye I believe now uses Hokey from I think New Zealand due to the lack of cod.

Bit off topic but sort of relevant.

Pollywog
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were keeping and breeding a species such as Ceratophrys cornuta that are well known for the WC adults not accepting anything other than frogs then I wouldn't think twice about using them.
However if I think a species can be kept and bred just as well without feeding them then I would not use them, such as my earlier example Bufo marinus in the wild of Surinam are found living in caves feeding on lizards, this doesn't mean I am going to feed them lizards as they just don't need them.

I don't know the actual origin of the frozen frogs sold for food - I can only assume that the frogs are R.esculenta and are from a source breeding them for the French market of Frogs Legs, however they could quite easily be from one of the licensed field collectors that supply the Biological Research industry?
sales@pollywog.co.uk
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So does anybody know the source of these frozen froggies, rather than dangling the carrot! That`s what THIS forum is about. Sharing knowledge for the mutual benefit of all members.........
Thankyou Wink

Surely this will not spark the ethics of food sources debate YET again!

I am interested in all aspects of nature myself. Amphibians I find very interesting, as well as reptiles. That`s why I keep both. I have no problems with feeding anything to any other animal if it is either the natural and suitable diet or something as similar or close to it as possible.

I had no problems feeding rana temporaria (common frog) to my grass snakes as a child. Nor would I with feeding penguins to leopard seals nor slow worms to smooth snakes.

I enjoy watching the behaviour and life cycle of my locusts almost as much as what I feed them too, but I don`t think twice about feeding them to the various creatures that I do. Nor do I about mice, rats, frogs, lizards, snakes, giant pandas or certain people to be honest! Laughing

Let`s not lose sight of what this forum is about......
Visit our website - Gwelwch ein Gwefan
www.btcvcymru.org
Llinell Gymorth / Helpline: 08702 40 48 41

Last edited by Peter Parrot on Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, i don't honestly think anyone has lost sight of anything. We are all having a grown up debate, which is what sets this forum apart from ANY other i visit. Pollywog decided that he didn't agree with the frogs being sold as food items (his call) so didn't want to advertise this company. I can understand his reasoning, i really can. We worked something out where we were both happy and i now know what i needed to know yet the company has had no more publicity. He hasn't with held the information from someone that NEEDS to know so IMO has done the right thing.

Pollywog wrote:
If I were keeping and breeding a species such as Ceratophrys cornuta that are well known for the WC adults not accepting anything other than frogs then I wouldn't think twice about using them.
However if I think a species can be kept and bred just as well without feeding them then I would not use them, such as my earlier example Bufo marinus in the wild of Surinam are found living in caves feeding on lizards, this doesn't mean I am going to feed them lizards as they just don't need them.

I don't know the actual origin of the frozen frogs sold for food - I can only assume that the frogs are R.esculenta and are from a source breeding them for the French market of Frogs Legs, however they could quite easily be from one of the licensed field collectors that supply the Biological Research industry?

The reason i am looking for these frogs is for that entirely, i now keep a species of snake that only eats lizards and frogs, not one has ever eaten rodents without forcefeeding. I will be inquiring as to where these frogs originate as that will play a part in whether i use them or not.

Thanks

The future is bright, the future is a net like pattern.................

I'm NOT an expert, so if you don't want to know my opinion don't ask!!
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad everone is happy! Laughing

Gotta dash, my pandas have defrosted!
www.btcvcymru.org
Peter Parrot
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pollywog stated quite clearly at the end of his post he didn`t know the source.

My mistake Wink
www.btcvcymru.org
Dan
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Parrot wrote:
Pollywog stated quite clearly at the end of his post he didn`t know the source.

My mistake Wink

Nothing to stop me asking the seller though Cool

The future is bright, the future is a net like pattern.................

I'm NOT an expert, so if you don't want to know my opinion don't ask!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Amphibians All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: