Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

home made incubator

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Ball / Royal Pythons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dazzlah
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: home made incubator Reply with quote

My girls due between the 12th and 20th July so have been getting an incubator ready. Its a table top drinks fridge I picked up from ebay for £40. I've stripped it from its 'fridge bits' and left the cable pull through at the back for my heating cables and maybe a small tube light to go through.

Be great for suggestions on how to make it the best it can be? I've ordered a 6x35 heat mat which I plan to run along the back and sides on the top level - also gonna ad a small heat pad on the back of the bottom section - these will be connected to a mat stat for temp control. its only for one clutch so there should be plenty of room to circulate air around the egg holding box.

2.3 Ball Pythons
(1.1 norms, 1.2 high contrast albino's)
bumblebee
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've just recently made one of those, only mine does not have an see trhough door. but i think that putting heat mat's alon the back, and sides and sometging from te bottom is far too much!! i've got just 1 35watt mat taped from bottom over the back. i believe if you put 3 mats in there that they will be far to warm. if i'm wrong someone else will respond to this Confused
0.5 Royal Python
0.1 Royal Python Spider
1.0 Royal Python Jungle Pastel (Graziani)
1.0 Royal Python Mojave
0.2 Royal Python Labyrinth
molurus
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i only had one that just covered the back wall,
placed a small tub on the floor with water and hatched out 128 baby Beardies in 1 yr from it, so i guess you could say it worked Smile
every day briefly open the door to allow air to circulate.
Python-Regius
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, we have an almost identical fridge that we used last year for a clutch of Pastel Royals. Its much safer using a more accurate stat like the standard temp thermostat, or better still a dimming stat so that when it warms up to raise the temp a bit it does not come on at full power! Its not so critical with a heat mat as they are low powered.

We used a standard temp thermostat from Habistat, and coupled it to a 35" x 6" 22watt heat strip. The heat strip was mounted on the bottom of the fridge with each end of it running up the sides of the fridge. Its then just a case of setting the dial on the stat to 89 degrees F and sitting back to wait til they hatch!

Hope that helps.

Tony & Becky
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Ball / Royal Pythons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: