Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Switching to Defrost - hints & tips
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Ball / Royal Pythons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
royalpython
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep definitely... it does have it's place.. i felt i'd exercised all i can say Laughing - i've never had a constant live feeder Smile Everything i've said comes from about the 60 royals i own, so an experience shared can only be a good thing anyway Smile

www.masterpeaceartwork.com
Dracowoman2
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have to very satisfied looking females that have had a taste of frozen rat, and they didn't seem to bothered, I think that heating the rats head is definately the key, although we do also heat the whole body as well, heat the whole thing with the dryer and then REALLY cook the head and then straight into the tub. I agree about scenting the room though, I defrost my rats in the room as it's really warm in their and I have a tall oscillating fan that I put on as well, sounds similar to the hair dryer and it wafts the smell around. Just need to get this last stubborn one converted over now and I'll be a happy bunny Very Happy Oh and a couple of stubborn beggers to get eating anything on a regular basis Laughing

"Life without animals isn't life, they give much and take little"

Claire
Lynne

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dony envy those who have to do it. it cant be pleasant, and i dont think i could to be honest. but im interested in the tips i must say.
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracowoman2 wrote:
I now have to very satisfied looking females that have had a taste of frozen rat, and they didn't seem to bothered, I think that heating the rats head is definately the key, although we do also heat the whole body as well, heat the whole thing with the dryer and then REALLY cook the head and then straight into the tub. I agree about scenting the room though, I defrost my rats in the room as it's really warm in their and I have a tall oscillating fan that I put on as well, sounds similar to the hair dryer and it wafts the smell around. Just need to get this last stubborn one converted over now and I'll be a happy bunny Very Happy Oh and a couple of stubborn beggers to get eating anything on a regular basis Laughing

I do all this and it definitely works. thawed in the warm room their in, but i just dump them in hot water once they're thawed.

This is how pedantic i can be...

i won't put defrosted multi's and rats in the same tub of hot water. I don't want the scents mixed up... i just have visions of royals wondering what the hell is going on, like i've seen before (but i've never defrosted rats and mice in the same tub, it's just paranoia from me probably lol). I just dampen the rodents down with a towel and feed them quite damp. Provides extra moisture for the snakey's to Smile

Dracowoman2
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the same to be honest, I defrost everything seperately, well only mice and rats in my case, my OH thinks I'm anally retentive, but like you I feel that muddling the scents would be confusing. how many people have had a big swig of whgat they thought was coffee only to find it's tea? It tastes disgusting, it's all to do with the brain sending signals to your taste buds telling them what to expect, same thing happens with colour, if coke was orange instead of brown you'd get one hell of a shock, and as snakes are very smell orientated I can understand how they would get confused.

As for swopping and changing I only ever off my snakes rats, someof my little ones were given either mice or rats before I got them, but you try and get them to eat mice now, I tried once when there was a small rat shortage, they weren't impressed, so basically I have and will only ever try anything different if they stop feeding for any length of time and I'm concerned about their health. Other than that I think I go with pretty much what the snake wants, if it will only eat live then live it will get, I usually send the other half to do the dirty work though. I know some of the large American breeders have openly said (can't remember which ones now though) that they don't like to feed live but sometimes it has to be done in the best interests of the snake. I know exactly how Lynne feels though, it's not nice, but I suppose there are some people that would feel the same about watching a bearded dragon chomp crickets or locusts, it's just that they aren't so cute.

Claire
royalpython
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats the right way to do it in my opinion. If your snake hasn't fed for a considerable length of time or looks like the weight is being lost, it's definitely time to consider the options... If the royal is just off food, there's really no need to start all the madness of different food items in my opinion.. this will more than likely create problems.

If i sell a CB royal, i just tell the buyer... feed them rats and rats only. i raised them on rats, they eat and love them, just leave them like that etc.

Jack
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i find it also helps if yuh keep like a rodent in the same room as them ie gerbils of hamsters ect
bumblebee
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all my snakes (royals and boa's) feed on live prey, i don't know why people so desperatly want their snakes to feed on frost?? did you know that by freezing a rat it looses 25% of the minerals and vitamines that are in them. i know someone that even puts the defrosted rat back in the freezer if it hasn't been taken, at that point the rat has lost 60% of it's value as a prey for snakes. i swear by live feeding and won't even try to change it Wink
0.5 Royal Python
0.1 Royal Python Spider
1.0 Royal Python Jungle Pastel (Graziani)
1.0 Royal Python Mojave
0.2 Royal Python Labyrinth
Lynne

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bumblebee wrote:
all my snakes (royals and boa's) feed on live prey, i don't know why people so desperatly want their snakes to feed on frost?? did you know that by freezing a rat it looses 25% of the minerals and vitamines that are in them. i know someone that even puts the defrosted rat back in the freezer if it hasn't been taken, at that point the rat has lost 60% of it's value as a prey for snakes. i swear by live feeding and won't even try to change it Wink

you are in amsterdam though bumblebee. other countries seem to handle live feeding better than over here, and dont have the rspca breathing down thier necks. and i have to disagree with claire here, i think hoppers are just as cute as mice.
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very valid point you have raised ther Bumblebee, I had forgotten about that one, I'd also heard that when freezing rodents they loose their nutritional value, I believe the one vitamin/minereal in particular they loose is Thiamin which is quite important for neurological, nerve and heart function. I have to say that re-freezing anything is bad it should always be discarded if it is refused.

Lynne I'm glad you disagree about the hoppers as it shows that different people have different feeling about different things, which makes another good point Very Happy

Claire
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Ball / Royal Pythons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: