Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Switching to Defrost - hints & tips
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Ball / Royal Pythons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamie_s
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

claire also mentioned the hair dryer,my snakes are all keyed into the hairdryer's noise/vibration.its quite funny to see when i switch it on the there a row of faces at the tub's.

Quote:
Oh... and i really enjoy the breeding of multi's
lol yeah me too and they dont half churn them babies out
Dracowoman2
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear about the multis as I'm about to set up a couple of trios myself as I have a couple that are being a REAL pain in the buttocks, and if they will happily take multis then multis is what they shall have, also getting some mice for much the same reason, that way I should have all the bases covered with either live feeders to convert of stubborn feeders.

Ahhhhhhhh, well you should know that breeding always give you the muchies Laughing If some of mine were bigger I think i'd try stuffing a male in with em and serve em right!! Laughing

I'm glad you mentioned that Jamie, as I've noticed that as well, my spider is usually straight to the from of the tub prowling back and forth as soon as he hears the noise Laughing I thought it was my imagination, god knows what I'll do when that particular hair dryer dies and I have to buy a new one Laughing

"Life without animals isn't life, they give much and take little"

Claire
royalpython
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynne wrote:
royalpython wrote:
I've never had any live feeders, but i have had troubled royals and used live on the odd occasion - not a preference of mine, i don't like it really.

Thought i'd echo Jamies comment though about the multi's. I used live to snap out an 11 month fast from a female of mine. She soon started taking defrost multi's no bother at all. I have to breed mine like Jamie does... but i am also seeing a very positive effect on those not so regular feeders by using multi's... i now have some seriously good feeders throwing down the multi's (that were previously quite crap)... i have found a few times that attempting to switch can throw them off as well... so i just stick to what they like now - completely given up on switching... i think it suits them more (my personal experience anyway. I've had very limited success switching from mice and multi's to rats.... i really don't think it's worth the hassle

i got 3 gerbils 2 weeks ago just to see if they were any quicker at taking them. they loved the gerbils. so i tried 2 multis the next week. i have to say mine prefered the gerbils.

Yep i breed gerbils to, but.. if you catch the bit about me not switching them - highlighted in bold.... you'll maybe find the answer to that issue there Very Happy My royals don't like to be switched too often, or so i find... some don't mind so much, but it's easy to notice what they prefer. I have got amazing results from multi's from non regular feeders Smile if i could i'd probably switch everything i have onto them, but it's not practical.. i prefer my rat feeders to stick to rats Smile

www.masterpeaceartwork.com
Lynne

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

am quite lucky that way, when they ARE feeding they will eat practically anything. some are fussy, but there are 2 or 3 who will eat either or or even both at same sitting.
Forum Granny

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one problem I find with my multis, apart from hating the killing bit, is that whilst they have lots of babies, they grow soooo slowly. Very pretty little things... Smile
Lynne

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and i didnt mention switching. i had them and tried them, AFTER they had eaten what they normally have. it hasnt flung mine off, they are ALL still eating, fingers crossed it lasts. as for live feeding, well any of mine would have to go to someone else to get them back on defrost, cause i doubt i could live feed.
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah well. i know it's possible. If you have some troubled non feeders, i'd find something they like to eat and stick to it.

I honestly know from me offering royals that eat multi's, mice or gerbils... that if i offer something different that night, and they get excited initially wanting food... it can put them off food that night... thats what i mean by throwing them off food. It has happened also with one male i trialled rats and multi's on... one week rat, one week multi... he soon stopped feeding... now he only takes multi's.. (i am happy with that, i want the majority of my males on multi's).

I have a clown female that would eat one small rat every 6 weeks or so, now she eats 1, 2 or 3 multi's every week. Thankfully she wasn't turned off by the food when i offered her a rat one week, she did still take a multi... they are just all different. Just a warning really not to switch too often unless you know the royals very well i suppose Smile

Lynne

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine were initially fussy. i have found the past month they are on a feeding frenzy. everyone of them. and where initially they would take only mice or rats, now they are taking anything. although i prefer to keep them on rats.
and i must be boring the pants off everyone, but its only since i started really boiling the heads on a lightbulb they have started this. could be coincidence i suppose. but every week i stand there holding rat heads onto the bulb till the rooms honking.
i also find allowing the rodents to defrost in the same room as the snakes helps too. they are always out prowling when i go up to feed.
and.....can i say, when the green mojo didnt eat for 8 months, i did try gerbils then, but she wasnt having them.
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i actually think good feeders can go off food if you switch them too often as well actually. God knows. they are funny things Laughing anyway. this is a live feeding thread switching over to f/t. Smile

Lynne

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, but i would imagine things like gerbils, multis and definately smell would help live feeders switch. so it all does count.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Ball / Royal Pythons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: