Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

customise vivariums / accessories help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kitten0212
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: customise vivariums / accessories help Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Im due to recieve my wooden vivarium tommorow Very Happy and im now looking for ideas and advice to furnish it and put a bit off my mark on it before I get its occupaint.

As i will hopefully be getting my first beardie or a frilled lizard I think I want a rock background as they would love this as they are climbers. I have found a few threads that could help me on this.

I have seen few people that have made hides and stairs out of slate tiles, would ceramic tiles be o.k or would these be dangerous? Also I have something that looks very much like bamboo in my garden and I have seen bamboo in other peoples vivs. Are these safe to make something out of and if so how do i make it safe is it something to do with soaking them and cooking them in the oven? Also the big branches / logs can these be sourced from the woods etc and made safe or is it best to buy from a reptile shop as I have looked on some online shops and there doesnt really seem to be anything that im looking for that doesnt cost a fortune.

Any general advice / ideas would be brill.

Thanks
molurus
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to decide which species you are going to place in it before you even start.
Bearded dragon's and Frilled Dragon's are completely different set-up.

Beardies need terrestrial set-up's and Frillies need arboreal.

Ceramic tiles are way too slippery for any lizard in my eye's claws' don't grip.
Kitten0212
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Im going to get a bearded dragon as that was what I wanted from the start but I went to 888reptiles in ramsey and feel in love with a frilled lizard but I have heard that they can be a bit viscious. I may consider getting a frilly in the future thou. I have basically got my viv set up now for the dragon just need to get a thermostat, dragon and its food now.

How far away is o.k to travel for a bearded dragon without causing it too much distress etc?

Thanks
molurus
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've bought babies back from Houten without any problem's,
just keep them at a reasonable temp and in the dark and they will be fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Vivarium Design All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: