Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Desert Iguanas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Lizards - General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lindsey
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Desert Iguanas Reply with quote

Hi I was wondering if anyone on here keeps these or knows anything about them. I've read some things on the internet but there isn't a lot of captive care info out there. I came across them in a shop and they're so pretty lookin. Any info would be appreciated Smile

1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
2.3.0 Crested Geckos
1.3.0 Leopard Geckos
0.1.0 Ball Python
0.0.1 Green Pacman Frog
0.0.1 Albino Pacman Frog
0.2.0 Fire Belly Toads
1.0.0 Rainbow Crab
Central Scotland Reptiles
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently keep Desert Iguanas.

I am at work at the moment so can't really reply in full. I will post a full reply once i get home. Very Happy
Lindsey
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh great! thanks Smile

1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
2.3.0 Crested Geckos
1.3.0 Leopard Geckos
0.1.0 Ball Python
0.0.1 Green Pacman Frog
0.0.1 Albino Pacman Frog
0.2.0 Fire Belly Toads
1.0.0 Rainbow Crab
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desert Iguanas - Dipsosaurus dorsalis are, in my opinion, one of the most under rated lizards on the market. As soon as you mention the word Iguana, everyone immediately thinks of the Green Iguanas, the differences between the two species is vast.

I have only had my group ( 1 male and 2 females ) for a little over a year, at the time i could not find any captive bred animals so, reluctantly, purchased some long term captive ( 5 months ) animals. I kept them in a very simply furnished enclosure for 10 months while they went through their quarantine period.

Now past this period , i have moved them into there permanent enclosure which measures 5 foot x 3 foot x 2 foot ( long x width x height ), i use calci sand as a substrate, this is a good 5 - 6 inches deep, and provide hiding and basking spots in the form of slate roof tiles secured to bricks and a retes stack at the hot spot ( used by mean monitor keepers ). The hot spot is set to reach around 110F with the area immediately beside this reaching around 100F. The cooler end of the enclosure is allowed to reach around 85F and i achieve this with the use of a reptile radiator. Their holes provide an even cooler area, should they wish to us it. I switch off all lights and heating appliances at night, do not allow the temperature to fall below 70F during this time.

Hailing from a desert environment these lizards also require a high level of UV. For this i use 2 of the Zoo Med 10.0 light bulbs.

One of the best parts of keeping this species is that i can get all the food i need from the local supermarket. While researching the husbandry of this species, some keepers suggested that they may be omnivores, i would suggest that insects make up a very, very small part of the diet of wild Desert Iguanas. I think in all my time keeping them i have offered crickets only half a dozen times. The Iguanas seem to enjoy chasing them but i wouldn't say they 'enjoy' them ( if that makes sense!!! ) I offer my Desert Iguanas pretty much the same vegetable diet as my tortoises. I also add rose petals when in season. I supplement every second meal with a multivitamin powder. I do not provide a water source in the enclosure but i do employ a soaking rota where each animal is removed from the enclosure every week and subjected to a 20 minute bath / shower. They seem to really enjoy this. In addition i spray their hide areas twice a week.

Initially they were very skittish, they have calmed down hugely since i have had them. The offer of food is a wonderful bribe, especially strawberries.

I hope to breed these lizards in the coming year and i would hope that captive bred youngsters are more tolerant of gentle handling. Watch this space!!!

Any other questions, just ask........

( I am unable to upload pictures otherwise i would have attached some pictures to this post )
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooops, just re-reading that and it should say many monitor keepers, not mean monitor keepers!!!! Embarassed
Lindsey
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks that helps quite a bit. I'm in the process of building a new viv for my beardie, it's a 5'x2'x2', going to be one viv on top of the other, a "duplex" of sorts. So I was thinking I could get a pair or possibly a trio of these for the other viv.

The thing I'm concerned about is getting only one male and one or two females and unfortunately this shop isn't exclusively reptiles so they only pretend to know what they're talking about. Is there a good way to sex these guys?

1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
2.3.0 Crested Geckos
1.3.0 Leopard Geckos
0.1.0 Ball Python
0.0.1 Green Pacman Frog
0.0.1 Albino Pacman Frog
0.2.0 Fire Belly Toads
1.0.0 Rainbow Crab
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad you found the information useful.

Desert Iguanas are similar to Bearded Dragons in that sexually mature males will have enlarged hemipenal bulges at the base of their tail. You may also notice a waxy substance around their femoral pores. Determining the sex of younger animals can be difficult. I once heard a guy telling a potential customer that the males turn pink in the breeding season, this is only partially correct as both sexes can have a degree of pink blushing during the breeding season.

I am not sure what the market is like in Canada but try to source captive bred youngsters as wild caught animals can be difficult to tame.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Lizards - General All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: