Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

just a couple of questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Rhacodactylus Geckos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scrambled legs
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: just a couple of questions Reply with quote

hi all,

i recieved my two unsexed geckos last week and just have a couple of questions, i spent months prepping everything from enclosure to foodstuffs and just have a few questions as i still have the 'new owner' nerves.

i've left correctedly supplimented organic babyfood out in a elevated dish but they've not gone near it. i've replaced it every 48 hours. the only time they eat is if i put a bit on my finger and up to their mouths to which they lick and consume lumps.
i've tried powedered small crickets of a sensible size with mixed reactions.

the smaller gecko dived into them until one was finally eaten and the other bigger one didn't even look at them or care about them as they walked all over its body!!

now i've owned lizards before and other reptiles and i always think that things will sort themselves out after time but my geckos don't seem to have eating on their agenda.

so here are a couple of questions to find out then i'll be perfectly confident about them.

1. what should i expect for a feeding pattern for juveniles?

2. what would they turn their noses up at? (i.e. flavours? consistencies?)

3. what reasons wouldn't they be eating? change of living arrangement?

any advice regarding how yours feed and what and when would be greatly appreciated.

cheers!

Neil.
crested geckos, rabbits, guinea pigs, gerbils, cat, jackapoo, poodle, a gazillion fish.
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: just a couple of questions Reply with quote

scrambled legs wrote:

1. what should i expect for a feeding pattern for juveniles?

2. what would they turn their noses up at? (i.e. flavours? consistencies?)

3. what reasons wouldn't they be eating? change of living arrangement?

any advice regarding how yours feed and what and when would be greatly appreciated.

cheers!

Neil.

Hi Neil,
I would guess it's hard to see just how much they would be eating, are you sure they don't eat some at night? They are all different with regards to flavours but overall banana seems to be liked by all of mine.

If they aren't eating it would most likely be due to stress of the set up, I've found baby cresteds thrive in a really densely planted viv but seem to stress out if there is too much open space.

Hope that helps.

Scott

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
scrambled legs
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi scott,

ironicly, i asked these questions here so that i didn't bother you about the new arrivals! thanks for the reply Wink ,

looking at the elevated plastic dish of babyfood, it really looks like they haven't touched it. on my way home tonight, i'll get some banana baby food but i'm using a 'fruit salad' mix right now.

if they were used to banana then it makes sense to continue using it.

i'll try some different flavours.

i'm still interested about what other keepers have to say about their juveniles feeding habits.

thanks again.

Neil.
crested geckos, rabbits, guinea pigs, gerbils, cat, jackapoo, poodle, a gazillion fish.
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Neil, yep always best to try and get to read as many other experiances as you can, I'm sure others will reply soon Wink Very Happy

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Dracowoman2
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the fruitapura baby food (apple and banana flavour) and mix CGD into it, mine seem to devour this Laughing Basically I use 2 spoonfuls of the baby food and 1 spoonful of the CGD and then they get mini mealworms dusted in calcium once a week. I will soon be introducing a small calcium dish into the enclosure so that they can ‘self medicate’ if they feel they need to. Mine are scared to death of crickets!! Laughing Mealies however they bungee jump into the dish for Laughing

"Life without animals isn't life, they give much and take little"

Claire
crouchy
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont be worried about them not eating. Firstly they are still settling in if you have only had them for 1 week and secondly if they are Juvies then they will eat such a small amount that you probably wont notice. while they are still new to you you could try placing 2 or 3 different food dishes around the viv and that way they will be more likely to find one in a place they feel secure enough to eat.

On another note i dont like the use of babyfood for cresties. Id recomend using the CGD as much as possible but if u cant or wont use CGD then supplimented mashed fruit will be better than babyfood.

http://www.freewebs.com/crouchys/
CB Rhampholeon Brevicaudatus (Pygmy Chams) Hatching now
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Rhacodactylus Geckos All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: