Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thrasops Update.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Snakes - General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
willy
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Thrasops Update. Reply with quote

Hi folks, It's been a long time since I last posted anywhere but a lot has happed since then marriage, redundancy, starting a new business and a new baby on the way, not necessarily in that order

Last year my two thrasops mated and produced eggs. Sadly these started to keel over during the incubation. The last two turned bad after 55 to 60 days. After dissecting one it revealed a fully formed thrasops.

[/img][img][/img]

Well this year the Thasops mated again Very Happy and she laid 7 eggs. Again the eggs have been keeling over Sad and now on day 48 of incubation I have two eggs left.

So if anyone has any suggestions as to where I maybe going wrong, please feel free to post them. I will probably be pipping the egg around day 56/57, hopefully this will help.

I have been incubating them at 80% humidity and at a constant 30 degrees.
Mwoxy
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Willy, no expert on hatching Thrasops but my gut feel is the temperature is too high.

I hatched a couple of Thrasops a while back, from a gravid import. I incubated them at 28C, normal vermiculite mix, ie squeezed until no water came out.

Good luck and congrats on getting repeated success.

Cheers

Mark
willy
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Mark.

I am reducing the temperature at the moment.

Good to here from someone who has experience with these guys. Just a couple of quick questions, how long was the incubation for your eggs, i am guessing around 50 to 60 day mark and did you pip the eggs?

Willy.
Mwoxy
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Willy,

I will have to trawl through (read find!!) my records.

I got the females in Hamm September '99, hatched 01-01-2001!! Off the top of my head I think they were around the 70 day mark. I keep a number of arboreal colubrids and they all seem to have longer than the typical colubrid 65 days

Once one pipped I pipped the remainder, one contained twins which were very small and did not survive.

I have a short article on Thrasops somewhere, I'll dig it out for you.

Cheers

Mark
willy
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Mark that would be fantastic. And thanks for the benefit of your experience.

Willy.
Mwoxy
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have pm'd article to you plus soem other stuff.

I note that the article quotes incubating at 30C but maintaining the adults at 25C!! I find that rather strange.

Cheers

Mark
willy
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for that Mark. Certainly an interesting article.

I will certainly keep you posted on how the last two eggs are doing.

Thanks again,

Willy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Snakes - General All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: