Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need a little help with crested gecko diets
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Rhacodactylus Geckos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whiteraven666
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Need a little help with crested gecko diets Reply with quote

Hya there

I have had my cresties for over 3 weeks now and im concerned about them because they arent eating a lot. How much do your cresties eat? how many crickets a night roughly and do you feed yours every other day or everyday.

Ive got my crested geckos some Rapershy crested gecko diet (banana flavour) and they dont wanna touch it.

Ive tried giving them bits of banana, peach, pear and snuff at me everytime.

They are two nearly fully grown males in separate exoterra tanks and look in good health and very active and alert.

Just a bit worried about them
Sorry about all the questions

Kelly
Treakle (leopard gecko)
Jake (Baby beardie)
Draven (corn snake)
Denzil (chequered garter snake)
Samson+Mickey (Crested geckos)
Cody (Velvet gecko)
Lindsey
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have three cresties and they're not huge fans of the gecko diet either. I"ve tried three flavours. So I tried organic baby food and they prefer it, I just add calcium supplements to it. I have tired solid bits of fruit add they won't take it either. I do feed crickets every third night and they snap them up. I think they hold out for the crickets and only really nibble on the baby food. They're all healthy and it's the way I've been doing it for almost a year. So as long as yours don't look skinny I wouldn't worry about how much they actually eat.

You could also try getting some fruit and tossing it in a blender and make your own smoothie type thing and see if they like that. Just add some supplements.
Ailurus
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i first got my crestie i didnt think she was eating much of the diet either, but that was because she was small and i had given her a big water bowl, so it just didn't look like she was eating. Is this the case with you?

Now she is adult, she has a milk bottle top with CGD 4 times a week and she finishes it in one night. twice a week she has crickets dusted with calcium.

Also where is the dish, as they are more likely to eat from a raised dish in the upper area of the enclosure

Snakes: :Pantherophis: :Coelognathus: :Lampropeltis: :Heterodon: :Antaresia:
Lizards: :Rhacodactylus: :Pogona: :Goniurosaurus:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ailurus27
whiteraven666
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hya All

I was actually thinking of getting a smoothie maker and i think i will now.

Quote:
Also where is the dish, as they are more likely to eat from a raised dish in the upper area of the enclosure

that makes a lot of sence actually.

I think its just a case then of trying everything possible to see what they personally like.

I think he was previoulsy fed a diet of both crickets and the sandfire crested gecko diet.

I havent been able to get hold of the sandfire one due to it being out of stock. If need be ill look on ebay or reptile suppliers

Quote:
when i first got my crestie i didnt think she was eating much of the diet either, but that was because she was small and i had given her a big water bowl, so it just didn't look like she was eating. Is this the case with you?

yeh he did have a faily large bowl meaning that he could have eaten a bit
Treakle (leopard gecko)
Jake (Baby beardie)
Draven (corn snake)
Denzil (chequered garter snake)
Samson+Mickey (Crested geckos)
Cody (Velvet gecko)
crouchy
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sandfire CGD is just the normal T-Rex diet. It says sandfire at the top. Ive known people who havent had any luck with standard CGD but have then tried the repashy multi flavour food and the geckos have loved it.

I always recommend repashy food as its got plenty of different flavours and has all the nutrients needed. Organic babyfood with no preservatives (that means no lemon juice either) is impossible to find and is very hard to supplement with the correct amounts of calcium and vitamins.

http://www.freewebs.com/crouchys/
CB Rhampholeon Brevicaudatus (Pygmy Chams) Hatching now
Lindsey
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm from Canada and the organic baby food is available in a few of our stores. I know the special diets are better in the respect that they have exactly what they need, but if they won't eat it then they're not getting any of that good stuff anyway. Smile

Do you think it would be okay to mix some of the gecko diet with some of the baby food? That might be another thing to try.

1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
2.3.0 Crested Geckos
1.3.0 Leopard Geckos
0.1.0 Ball Python
0.0.1 Green Pacman Frog
0.0.1 Albino Pacman Frog
0.2.0 Fire Belly Toads
1.0.0 Rainbow Crab
joffy666
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my lil crestie for six weeks now. To start with I gave him CDG and mashed banana, peach sometimes with a lil CDG or calcium mixed in.

I use a large suction cup attached to a branchbwith a bendy cable tie as a food dish and soon as he wakes around 8pm he goes straight to it but doesn't eat a huge amount.

I then tried him on Can O Crickets which he loved but they went mouldy after a few days in the tin!

So finally gave in and tried live locusts and he gobbles up 3-4 in a few minutes.
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could maybe dust your crickets in the CGD, maybe get used to the taste.

Crestie's insides are tiny so your not going to notice the amount of CGD they're having if it's in a fairly big dish.

Our juvies can clear milk bottle tops before it even gets dark. They love the stuff.

Crested Geckos 1:7:4 + 8 Eggs
White Treefrogs 0:1:0
Green Anole 0:0:1
Fire Belly Toads 5:6:0
Bearded Dragon 0.1.0
Leopard Geckos 1.1.2
Albino Cali King 1.1.0
And a Fish Called George...
*A*
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where does everyone get the repashy diet from? I cant seem to find any... Confused
Biohazard156
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy the normal CGD in some pet shops, and the two part repashy diet, I import straight from America. The Pangea website sells it and will ship it over here.

A
1.1.0 Dumerils
0.2.0 BCI
1.1.0 Mexican Rosys
1.1.0 ATB's
1.1.0 Viper Geckos
1.0.0 Beardie
4.7.4 Cresties
0.6.8 Mourning Geckos
1.2.2 Gargoyle Geckos
1.1.0 Tokays
1.1.2 Cave Geckos
1.2.0 Leos
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Rhacodactylus Geckos All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: