Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Worried about my Male Beardie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Bearded, Rankins & Frilled Dragons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lizbethse
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Worried about my Male Beardie Reply with quote

Hi

I have a male beardie approx 18 months old, I have had him since he was 6 months old. I am worried about him as for the past 7 weeks he is refusing all foods except a couple of locusts a week and the occasional wax worm which I don't particularly like giving to him as they are more of a treat. He has now started to loose weight.
I have not changed anything in his viv except his UV flourescent which is a Reptiglo 10 ( he had this type before)
He insists on sitting on his bark under the UV or lays in the sand near his basking light. He is quite dark in colour and only lightens up if I bathe him. His temps are 102 basking 84 cool end. Lights on 8am lights off 9.30pm. He seems very lethargic, if I put locusts in with him he just lets them crawl over him.
He does small poos when I bathe him.

Any help/advice would be good.

Thank you
Sheila
tigerbaby2k
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, find a reptile vet and take him along. loosing weigth and not eating at this time of year is unlikely to be probiscous (spelling!) as thats normally around winter when some (not all) shut down a bit and eat less. Your vet should examine the poo sample for worms and coccidia (both common causes of reduced appetite and loosing weight). How much veg does he eat? An adult beardie should be having 75% veg and 25% insects as a diet. Excessive feeding of insects can cause blockages too.
Until you can get him to a vet, up the baths to twice a day, keep him hydrated, and find Reptoboost from your reptile shop (should be able to order it in) then ine one of the baths a day use a scoop of reptoboost with 500mls tepid water. Hydration is so important to prevent secondary kidney failure.
Let us know how he does

Counting down the weeks til I get my Cham! My beardie is 10 1/2 years old Smile

1.0 Bearded Dragon
1.0 Lhasa apso
1.1 Lionheads
0.1 Syrian Hamster
lizbethse
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Thanks for your reply, will phone vet in the morning we have a good vet 20 mins away and a good reptile shop i can get the reptoboost. Up to 7 weeks ago he was eating veg like crazy now none at all. I have been bathing him 20 mins per day to keep him hydrated as I know that is very important.
Thanks for the information, will keep you updated.

Sheila
quasimodo
Forum Granny

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear of problems, do hope that the Vet can sort him out for you. All the best.

Sue
lizbethse
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Thank you for your good wishes, had him to vet today who X rayed and checked him over, I also took a pooh sample which he so kindly did for me fresh this morning. The vet said that he was a little skinny but that was to be expected as he has not eaten hardly for 7 weeks. There was no impaction or anything sinister on the x rays. He took a blood sample and has sent them with the pooh sample to be checked.
Did not give any medication, waiting while results come back.

When I got him home again gave him a good soak and offered him some locusts and the little ****** ate 6 straight away. He is now sat on his basking rock looking rather pleased with himself.

So much for a trip to the vets. Think he just wanted a change of scenary.

Any way just have to wait for results vet said he would ring and let me know when they come back.

Sheila
quasimodo
Forum Granny

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, what a brilliant Vet Surprised One visit and he seems to be cured Wink You have to laugh don't you ..... ? Hope that it is a long term cure.

Sue
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Bearded, Rankins & Frilled Dragons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: